Thread: Cheap 4x4

Cheap 4x4

Ive just been offered a Ford Explorer 4.0l petrol 16 years old, one owner, full service history, 95000 miles, superb condition for 750 .....It looks like it would be a good 4x4 for stalking.. The only other one I can find similar for sale is 2 years older and twice the price..
    Does anyone used one of theses for stalking?
    Thanks in advance
    Day

I had one and was a nice car, low mpg as expected, but rusted badly. Price seems ok and if you get a year or two from it then it seems ok

Cheap and 4x4 in the same sentence....does not compute.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Didn't the Explorer have major safety issues ?

Google it ,it flops over at about 40 mph with a crash bang wallop .Ford blamed the tyres ???
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Sounds very thirsty!
    Get an old Suzuki Vitara which are cheap to run and tried and tested to the extreme!
    That said, if you're doing low mileage and it's a reliable motor then why not?
    MS

Any 16 year old car will have problems, both inherent since new and age related. This particular example has going for it that it has so far survived 16 years and by all accounts is going strong. For that price, if it comes with a year's MOT, then a years motoring for 750 isn't that bad. If something major goes wrong, it's not the end of the world if you have to cut it loose and if it gives you more years use, then it's only a bonus.

Of course it'll be thirsty, but so will any similar sized pickup really.

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Ive just been offered a Ford Explorer 4.0l petrol 16 years old, one owner, full service history, 95000 miles, superb condition for 750 .....It looks like it would be a good 4x4 for stalking.. The only other one I can find similar for sale is 2 years older and twice the price..
    Does anyone used one of theses for stalking?
    Thanks in advance
    Day
    There was a timing chain issue on the older ones up to 2001 . Plastic cassette etc when failed led to new engineor complete engine removal to replace. Google it before you buy.