Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa .308 barrel

Howa .308 barrel

Has anyone got a Howa 1500 .308 barrel in the light or sporter weight they want to part with? Need to shave a few lb off my heavy barrelled version.
    So much to learn and so little time left

There are smiths that will reprofile your heavy barrel. Shouldn't cost the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    There are smiths that will reprofile your heavy barrel. Shouldn't cost the earth.
    ...but unfortunately they can't add 6" to it as well... Thanks for the thought but I definitely need a new tube.

Brock and Norris might be worth a call as I think they use new Howas as donor actions. Otherwise is it really worth it or is buying a new one not more expedient?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    ...but unfortunately they can't add 6" to it as well... Thanks for the thought but I definitely need a new tube.
    No probs, hope you find a cheap one.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Brock and Norris might be worth a call as I think they use new Howas as donor actions. Otherwise is it really worth it or is buying a new one not more expedient?
    New one a district possibility, I just thought I would ask first. Good call on Brock and Norris. Thank you.

the Gunsmiths I have talked to have said Howa barrels are generally so tight to the action that a relieving cut is required, this would suggest you are unlikely to get a useable second hand barrel, and given the new cost of a Howa,compared to the cost of rebarrelling I would think a new Rifle would be a better finacial choice , unless you want a 26" barrel in which case rebarrelling is the only way forward (I'm assuming your varmint barrel is 20")
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    the Gunsmiths I have talked to have said Howa barrels are generally so tight to the action that a relieving cut is required, this would suggest you are unlikely to get a useable second hand barrel, and given the new cost of a Howa,compared to the cost of rebarrelling I would think a new Rifle would be a better finacial choice , unless you want a 26" barrel in which case rebarrelling is the only way forward (I'm assuming your varmint barrel is 20")
    Thanks Kenny. No, the current one is a 16" Varmint, I want to go back to a 22" Sporter. Sounds like I'm best just getting a PacNor in .308. Thought it might be simple, but as ever...

Thanks Kenny. No, the current one is a 16" Varmint, I want to go back to a 22" Sporter. Sounds like I'm best just getting a PacNor in .308. Thought it might be simple, but as ever...
    I have a 20" varmint and 22" sporter,bothin /308. you are definitely right about the weight, a new or second hand rifle is the way forward, I would be amazed if you can find a shot out .308 in sporter profile, but it is something you can check, if you have a nice stock on yours then just swap it for the one on your new one before handing it in, I already had a Boyds stock and a Hogue (which I prefer on a hunting rifle) so just bought a barrelled action.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Bought a new Howa Hogue 1500 Sporter a month past, excellent. There is a new Howa Hogue 308 Sporter on Gunstar (Dorset Guns) for 460.00 now. Maybe an option. My new Howa is grouping less than an inch at 100yds with ppu and handloads yet to be fully developed..