Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Powell-Cotton Taxidermy Museum at Quex Park

The Powell-Cotton Taxidermy Museum at Quex Park

Every year on my birthday I like to visit the Natural History Museum at Kensington. Ever since I was a child I have been spell bound by the collections that encompasses everything from a moth to a meteorite. For my partner Michelle it is not such a happy experience. It doesn't really float her boat and to be fair she suffers the trip in silence each year. This year I was told we wouldn't be making the trip to Kensington and instead we would be heading out to Quex Park in East Kent.

To be quite frank I was stunned by what I found there. A collection of around a century past of animals from all over the globe that were beautifully and tastefully displayed in diaramas showing the beasts in natural settings. The quality of the mounts does not tally up in the mind with their age and is a long lasting testament to the passion and efforts of Major Percy Powell-Cotton and his family. The Natural History Museum of London DO NOT have mounts of the same calibre in their collections of a similar age.

If you have not visited before I strongly advise you to go, the experience is immersive, heady and inspiring. Where else can you go through a doorway into a small room and be confronted by two full elephants in a cabinet?

I have put together a few video clips of my trip there (the editing is rough) if anybody is interested in a peek at some of the displays.

Quote Originally Posted by John Johnson View Post
    Where else can you go through a doorway into a small room and be confronted by two full elephants in a cabinet?

I have put together a few video clips of my trip there (the editing is rough) if anybody is interested in a peek at some of the displays.

SMALL room LOL that was never a council house
    great video just wish this place was closer looks like a great place to visit
    cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    SMALL room LOL that was never a council house
    great video just wish this place was closer looks like a great place to visit
    cheers
    Ray
    Well, that's true.

It is a small room by elephant and museum standards I should have said!

Most serious hunters from the UK, Europe and beyond have visited the famous Quex Museum which I add is an amazing experience, I was extremely lucky to have visited in the days of Mr Harmen the curator whose attention to detail was second to none.
    I recommend this place to anyone who shoots or hunts, bring the whole family they will gain much knowledge, there is so much to see and do and a lovely restaurant to reflect.

I agree - definitely worth a visit. A trip there was always the highlight of the school holidays many years ago. It is a fascinating collection

I used to run it and worked there for 36 years. Knew all the family very well and grew up with them. Not the same now I am afraid, since Mr Christopher Powell Cotton died. Present trustees know nothing of the history of the place. All the old staff left about 5 years ago.

I cleaned and restored all the mounts and behind the scenes cleaned just about every skeleton of every species to walk the African planes. We also were involved with a good number of researchers with regards to DNA samples from the spare skins in store. All of them are dressed in suspended arsenic and in wooden crates with full field notes collected by the major.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    I used to run it and worked there for 36 years. Knew all the family very well and grew up with them. Not the same now I am afraid, since Mr Christopher Powell Cotton died. Present trustees know nothing of the history of the place. All the old staff left about 5 years ago.

I cleaned and restored all the mounts and behind the scenes cleaned just about every skeleton of every species to walk the African planes. We also were involved with a good number of researchers with regards to DNA samples from the spare skins in store. All of them are dressed in suspended arsenic and in wooden crates with full field notes collected by the major.
    Wow

I've been there several times - would like to know a bit more about the history of the Major and his estate pse sikamalc

Its a really good exhibition and only just down the road from me have been there several times i think it has the largest DNA collection around
    Last edited by Roedeer 1962; 18-12-2016 at 17:10.

SD Regular
    I have never been. I've known of it for twenty years. It's one of those places that's just too far from Leicester. One day I am determined that I will go.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 19-12-2016 at 00:21.