Thread: Hornady SST

Hornady SST

Hi, are the SST bullets legal for deer?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Totsy View Post
    Hi, are the SST bullets legal for deer?

Thanks.

Yes, they are. I use them in .308 myself. Try a quick search of the forum, there are a few threads on the Hornady SSTs where you can read about other member's experiences with them.

Any soft or hollow nosed bullets (including those with a plastic tip/plug in the void) are 'legal' for use on deer in England & Wales. To make a decision on suitability it's probably a good idea to consult the manufacturer's specification to see if they advise 'hunting' as a primary purpose.

At the end of the day it's the users call provided the legal criteria are met - A-Max etc.

SD Regular
    Yes. They are designed from the outset as an expanding bullet. So, presently, you'll need relevant authority on any FAC. As TT has said there's a lot of threads here and, as also said, some estates don't like them.

Very humane bullet, kills quickly, good amount of damage to do the job well, keep chest shots low and forward on smaller deer to avoid saddle damage and spilled green content! Performance similar to AMax.

It will work but there are better bullets IMHO.

The thing to bear in mind with the SST bullet is that it was designed for the American long(er) range shots on game at velocities commensurate with 300-500m shots. Hit a deer at your typical British range of sub 100m and it'll likely be going too fast and so cause an excessive amount of damage to the meat, albeit kill the animal quickly. If you're shooting at longer range or with a short barrel and heavy for calibre bullets at close range then you may find it ideal.

Very well written. No bullet is ideal for everything. But all are good for something. It all depends on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    The thing to bear in mind with the SST bullet is that it was designed for the American long(er) range shots on game at velocities commensurate with 300-500m shots. Hit a deer at your typical British range of sub 100m and it'll likely be going too fast and so cause an excessive amount of damage to the meat, albeit kill the animal quickly. If you're shooting at longer range or with a short barrel and heavy for calibre bullets at close range then you may find it ideal.

Always found them very accurate in both 6.5x55 and 308. where I use 140gr and 150gr respectively. Haven't tried the 120gr in 6.5 but suspect they would be a little fast and frangible at short range. I'm a big fan of heavy slower bullets with knock down power over speed and laser trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    But statistically, most American's don't shoot that far at deer. My longest shot in recent memory was 225 yards, (+/-) and I live in the wide open spaces. The Hornady ELDX ammunition for the 6.5 Creedmoor states on the box that is designed for long range use, but I've not seen that on SST packaging... tho admittedly, I've never looked.~Muir

And as I've said many times over the last few years, I think SST's suuuuck for deer. I now use them only for target practice, at which they do quite well....