Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get started

How did you get started

evening all.

Having personally never stalked a deer before but been shooting for 6 years or so it would be intresting how people got into the stalking weather for sport or management.

Many thanks
    sam

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    evening all.

Having personally never stalked a deer before but been shooting for 6 years or so it would be intresting how people got into the stalking weather for sport or management.

Many thanks
    sam
    Don't do it Sam, it quickly turns into an obsession!

If you're asking how you start, having had no experience in the past, I would book myself onto a DSC1 course, get some knowledge and theory under your belt, and then book up with one of the great professionals on this site, like Sika Malc, who will help you turn the theory into practice at a very reasonable cost.

When you're safe and competent only then should you be looking for a bit of ground and going off on your own.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Joined this forum with an interest in shooting in general. The rest is history....
    It's contagious you know!

Brought up with it son of a keeper ,followed in fathers footsteps shot my first stag at thirteen,fifty odd years ago, and so the story begins.

I was one of those cretins who grew up ferreting fishing shooting air guns and .410 boefore progressing to 12 bore and rimfire under instruction of a very experienced keeper them eventually centrefire and deer after many years ........ As opposed to the truly enlightened who paid for a couple of stalks then paid for dsc Certs .... It takes all sorts I suppose
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

After school I tried a few things but found myself at Sparsholt College of Agriculture studying Wildlife Management. Deer had always fascinated me from a very young age with parents into natural history and grandparents that lived in the New Forest and frequent walks with the chance of seeing deer.
    Sparsholt was the turning point with me placed for a year under the late Ronnie Rose in the Scottish Borders some 25 years ago. I returned to a more lucrative career in telecomms but have stalked every since.

Started off happily shotgun shooting , I used to frequent this site as a non member just for the information and interesting reading I then joined this site and thought I'm goi g to have to try this and the rest is history

Tradition, my family were hunters back in Ireland before we moved to Australia. Haven't skipped a generation here in over 150 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got into hunting by following hounds with dad, then startedthat long road of progress to where I am now, no idea where the roads taking me but it's an enjoyable trip.
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Moved to the new forest, the farm we were on regarded deer as vermin , which they were, as we had more deer eating our grass than rabbits, upto 100+ Fallow and reds in a 42 acre field, that's without the Reds living in our maize fields, roe in the plantations,we culled deer like there was no tomorrow.