220 Swift

purdeydog

Hello

Starting a new reloading project on a 220 swift. I plan on using 40g bullets (not quite decided on a make yet) currently using 40g Norma factory ammo. I've a few powders in mind after looking at various manufactures. H380 specifically mentions the swift. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reloading the 220 Swift. It's for foxes. I'm after accuracy and power out to 400y from a Remington 700 heavy barrel.

Many thanks.

A stiff load of varget will make 40gn bullets really fly, 4,450 fps in one of my swifts. H414 (winchester 760) is the powder i used when Varget was in short supply. Try some sierra 52gn HPBTM, very impressive. Accuracy and power is what the Swift is all about, fantastic cartridge. J

Hi,i use reloader 15[36grains]in my rem 700 behind a 52g speer hp.book says i could go higher but the rifle says not.Very accurate.

Hello

Starting a new reloading project on a 220 swift. I plan on using 40g bullets (not quite decided on a make yet) currently using 40g Norma factory ammo. I've a few powders in mind after looking at various manufactures. H380 specifically mentions the swift. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reloading the 220 Swift. It's for foxes. I'm after accuracy and power out to 400y from a Remington 700 heavy barrel.

Many thanks.

If it is a standard twist then I would recommend Nosler 55's or Sierras 60gr designed specifically for 1:14 swifts or 22-250's.

Well got round to starting the load developement for the swift today. Settled on using Varget and 40g Hornady V-max. Started off with the pressure testing. Followed Hornady recommendations. Started at 38.6 and worked up to the max load of 40.9 using said powder and bullets. No pressure indications on the brass or unloading. Felt a bit more recoil once nearer to 40.9 but cases all good. Think I'll stick with 40.9 as max load.

Next is finding the best accuracy node. Going to load up five rounds at various weights. How much do people go up by? .2 seems a little close was thinking .3 increase for each group. If anyone has any load data for varget and 40g Vmax I'd be interested to know your loads. See if I'm on the right path.

Cheers.

There going to be shifting :) I bought a box of 35s to try in my 250 and there wizzing along at 4500.Not a bad group either..A bit higher than my 55 Noslers though. I bet you could get them to over 4500 :D have you put them through a chrono ?

No I haven't got one. I'm looking forward to seeing what they group like. Should be good hopefully. Used 40g for years, not a lot gets away. The manual puts them at 4200 for my max load.

There going to be shifting :) I bought a box of 35s to try in my 250 and there wizzing along at 4500.Not a bad group either..A bit higher than my 55 Noslers though. I bet you could get them to over 4500 :D have you put them through a chrono ?

I had 40s going at 4890fps out of my 22-250 AI in my quest for 5000fps did not make it any faster, at that velocity primers were blowing out.

Ian.

Nosler's manual shows a maximum of 39.0 grns Varget for a 40 grn Ballistic Tip, but the most accurate Varget load was 35.0 grns, 500fps slower.
RL15's most accurate load for from a load of 39.0 grns at 4165fps, 100fps faster than the Varget max.

Jesus lol. That's going some. I'm not after speed so much just flat accurate round. I did notice doing the pressure test today by the time I got up to 40.9g they were noticeably faster from when I started at 38 lol

Ok well I took the swift out today with my new loads. I feel the results were inconclusive, only my second reloading project. Using a Rem 700 varmint 24in fluted barrel, not sure of twist. Used once fired Norma brass trimmed to 2.195 and COAL of 2.680. Used varget powder and 40g Vmax. I loaded up five rounds of the following with following results.

38g 1.035 more vertical spread
38.4g 1.009 --- .541 round group
38.8g 1.094 --- .665 round group
39.2g 0.984 --- .632 round group
39.6g 1.306 - round group
40g 0.645 round group
40.4g .930 round group
40.8g 1.024- more vertical spread

Its an old barrel so I’m taking that into account, but I had hoped for better groups. All groups, grouped well, reasonably circular groups, pretty much clones of each other, just varying in size.

With the 2nd, 3rd and 4th groups. I had four very tight holes and a 5th hole about half inch left and half inch down, all three identical. Not sure why. If I take away that 5th bullet the groups were as above.

So my question really is, what next? I’m thinking I will redo 40g and 40.4g and also 38.4 and 38.8g

Cheers

I don't use 40 grn in my swift , I use 50-60 grn ,with h414 ,h4895,blc2 and my favourite h380 , my favourite load is a 52 grn Berger with h380 , I am going to try a 55 grn barnes tsx copper bullets or the hornady alternate

Sounds good. I want to try some bergers in it for a longer plinking load. 40g have worked out well, dropping 5.5 moa at 440y. That will do for me.

I have some 50 grn SBK and 63 grn sierra all loaded up ,but haven't had time to try them yet , I have also done well with hornady 60 grn but a flat short based bullet atvb steve

Back