another yukon photon list of questions

thomas243

just about to buy a photon 6.5x50 for my foxing rifle (.222) some people seem to struggle to zero, should I go with adjustable mounts, also what do you find to be the best ir illuminator to go with it ?
thanks in advance- tom

Hi tom i would go for a good t67 illuminator to give you as much light as possible i did struggle to zero mine and i sold it in the end and made my own to go straight on my scope so i do not have to rezero and i can still use my scope during the day

The Photon is a budget piece of kit and from reading about, as well as with personal experience, they're inconsistent from the factory. However, they can be adjusted by loosening the four Torx T10 bolts behind the front bit and physically moving the front. Needs careful clamping of a boresighted rifle. I've just ordered some Eneloop batteries for mine as it's gone flat.

The built in illuminator is adequate for .22LR ranges, I find. In moonlight I don't need any external lighting. For longer ranges an LED IR torch will do but you might need an adjustable mount

Last edited:
have a look on the nightvision store,i would go for one of clives b-20 IR torches,also if your a member of the NV forum hes doing a deal on photons with the doubler fitted,definitely worth a look

Fitted a doubler (older 2.5x) from an NVRS to mine, good magnification but narrow FOV, for illumination I made a sunnranger from a T20 torch and a yukon 4x lens

i used a tr38 for rimmie distances and thought the image was very good and fine to 150yards ,also had a tr67 on it and this would be perfect for c/f ranges ( I also extremed the lenses) sold it in the end though as I was for ever trying to get it zeroed, adj mounts helped but in the end I just lost too much faith in it keeping its zero ,
rgds
craig

Mine sits in Leupold QRW mounts on a 20moa picatinny rail on a .243 and even swapping it on a regular basis with my day scope it doesn't lose zero. I've fount the T67 is fine for 100m and over but under this its a bit too bright and I do get some white out from eye shine.

try a 3 mode sunnranger

t38 torch with a 3x42 lens,

low is ok to about 50 yards,
med is good to 100
high is ok to 150/170

i used one on my drone out to 350 ident and 250 for shots,

great bit of kit and even better if you have a 4x50 lens but to much is to much.

bob

Last edited:
I thought about buying something like this to sit on my .22 but have sat and thought about it for a while and came up with the conclusion that they are just not worth the hassle and the expense. Posts such as this just confirm my thoughts. I will definately stick with the lamps.

ive beenusing the 6.5 photon on my 223 and 22.250 for a while now.i find it a very good bit of kit for the money.i also had the older model with a doubler on it and could never hold zero with the doubler on.the 6.5 can get away without a doubler and I have shot foxs out to 250yds with this set up.always holds zero no problem.i use a nm 800 or a t50 and to be honest the t50 is just as good as the nm800.hawke do a set of shims for the photon for £10 and they work great and are cheap.also take the time to play about with ir settings and focus to get the best out of it.for better focus pop the round centre piece out of the lense cover and keep it shut at night for better picture...if you want top class nv,get a drone .if you want a working set up to enable you to get out and shoot foxs 200yd + and don't wont to spend a lot of money the photon is more than upto the job

The Photon is a budget piece of kit and from reading about, as well as with personal experience, they're inconsistent from the factory. However, they can be adjusted by loosening the four Torx T10 bolts behind the front bit and physically moving the front. Needs careful clamping of a boresighted rifle. I've just ordered some Eneloop batteries for mine as it's gone flat.

The built in illuminator is adequate for .22LR ranges, I find. In moonlight I don't need any external lighting. For longer ranges an LED IR torch will do but you might need an adjustable mount
What he said,
My photon was way low and left, I purchased it from another member on here and it was fine on his rifle but he was using on a. 22lr and I am using a. 243.

This is easy enough to do and it saved me from using too much of the digital zero.

I am happy with mine.

collected my photon this morning from my local dealer,just waiting for my adjustable mounts to arrive then I can see what it can do.

A friend kindly lent me a Photon 6.5x50XT complete with Tracer Ledray F900IR for week, having previously had Photon MK1 and an ATN X-sight which were totally unsatisfactory for my needs, i was pleasantly surprised with the XT.
My friend had it mounted with quick release rings onto a picatinney rail on his 243, i dropped it onto my 22BR which placed the first shot only 8" low @ 100yds, zeroed after 3 shots (in the dark) i had a look what i could find.
Plenty of rabbits and hares spotted, then i picked up a set of nice bright eyes with the lamp, bingo i thought, Charley! but no looking through the photon i could clearly make out it was a cat, i shone the lamp on it and pinged it with the range finder, 158yds it said.
I was amazed that i could distinguish between a fox and a cat at that distance and that convinced that me that it was perfect for my needs, however i am pretty sure that its all down to the IR used, i tried the device with T20, T50 and T67 all with black suns and none were as good as the Ledray, this had been confirmed by the Photons owner who had carried out the same tests, he also said that the Laserluchs 5000 and the Armasight XLR owned by friends on their DronePros were equally as good as the Ledray on the Photon, with the Armasight XLR being slightly better

Ian.

Anybody mounted a photon on a R8?, just wondering what mount to use, low,med or high?
Cheers B

ive got one I use on my R93 and R8 in, 22,222,6.5 x55 and .308 it's on a QD mount with the tier one picatinny set back mount with medium warne mounts to just clear the rail to get the photon eye relief right and all I do is dial in the x and y numbers for each calibre and a one shot zero check and away it goes, it's brilliant, made me choke up a few feathers when I brought the mount but it's worth it. Day scope or NV in 10 secs perfic

ive got the x850 and the F900 IR's it likes the 900 and I shoot foxes out to 200 with a good ID sight at that range as well

for the money they are great, never had a problem with mine

Last edited:
I had a photon on my .22 with a 75 Pentax lens fitted, had to buy a set of Burris mounts that came with Moa inserts in the rings which with a bit of fiddling got me zeroed pretty much centre of the screen. Problem is mounts cost £120

Back