Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most costly buck i have shot

most costly buck i have shot

hi guys
    after 3 weeks of working nights i thought i would go and look around a little shoot
    i was given its only 70 acres , i got up at 4.45 rifle & roe sack and into the landy
    and off on the 8 mile ride to the farm ,pulling up at the farm ,roe on my back + bino's
    and a quick rifle check .going though the gate as quitly as possible as not to wake the farmer and a quick walk to two big tree's and a other gate way just stopping to glass
    the frist field ,instead of going left like i had done before .i turned right walking along a
    wall after 10 to 15 yards stopping to glass around to my right in a feild under a tree
    was a young doe feeding a quick check all a round to see if the buck was there and
    then some thing caught my eye in the next feild a quick look with the bino's still not
    sure if its a buck or not .so using the wall as a hide set off to get a better veiw on getting so far down just stopped looking over the wall its a buck now the stalk is on but on turning around the young doe to my right is looking at me just not sure what i was.
    on looking back to the buck and there is an other doe at top of the feild looking my way
    the doe at the top of the feild starts feeding so a very quick move down the wall a quick look with bino's and then rifle rested on the wall .he's still feeding away but is still not
    broadside crosshairs still on him , then he just stops feeding looks up and walks forward
    stops and turns broadside bang and he;s down like a sack of spuds a quick reload and saftey on looks to my right and young doe is off but the one in the feild just stood and looked around to see where her mate had gone and then start to walk to the buck
    she keeps stopping to look around .after about 5 mins she's still looking at the buck i
    start to think have i wounded him or is she taking the p*ss so i stand up to set off and look for my self she still there and looking at me in disgust ,just climbing over the gate
    and then she's off all of this is 60 yards away , on getting to the buck he's dead and a quick check of feet & mouth all is ok , quick graloch and into the roe sack and back to the landy put my rifle against a wall unlocked the landy and loaded the roe sack in ,bino;s on wheel arch just turned around to pick my rifle up and guess what happend
    i let go of the rifle( bang ) i bent down to pick it up and there was glass falling all over
    the place now am p*ssed off a new scope needed lucky for me i have two spare . so back at home for 6 am start to take the legs off and head of and then way the buck
    44 lbs .so after a bad morning i thought i would have a lie down on the sofa the wife wakes me at 8am .the condition i got the shoot is the chap gets half of a deer so at 9am ring this chap to come over and take what he wants he only wants a back leg & front leg & the fillet ,so am left with the same ,front & back legs in to the freezer & fillet into the frigde .the fillet i sold at work tonite for 15 & back leg sold for 20 and front leg went for 15 so 50 for half a roe is not bad but a new scope 3oo plus but on the plus side the chap said he may be able to get me some more stalking ,so let hope this do's not happen to some of you who have ziess scopes ,i have leant the hard way .

Bad luck mate. We've all done it too. I once closed the talgate of the truck on my favourite fly rod.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    is that on the way fishing or on the way back ? as their is a diffrence... bad luck all the same
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Bad luck mate. We've all done it too. I once closed the talgate of the truck on my favourite fly rod.

Do I detect a home and contents claim coming on?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

hi harry
    yes i was thinking of putting a claim in ,as am insured by the halfax and my guns are insured away from home as well
    but i have just got 50 back for not claiming and as i have two spare is it worth it .i think after 30 + years shooting and it's
    my first accident am going to take the loss and be more careful next time .

Hi i have shot literly hundreds of yearling roe when they have been pushed out & going about in little groups to find the yearling does hang round & watch me gralloch the buck & had them as close as 15m to me. I have had this with older beasts but very common with the yearlings in april/may when im culling them.

Quote Originally Posted by calmac View Post
    is that on the way fishing or on the way back ?
    Returning home, but it didn't make the experience any less painful. The rod was handbuilt for me by an old boy on speyside.

Quote Originally Posted by croc View Post
    i let go of the rifle( bang ) i bent down to pick it up and there was glass falling all over
    the place
    Pheww, when I read that I thought the rifle had gone off and shot the car window out
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

ouch!!reminds me of the incident my mate told me when he worked with his late boss who was a forestry contractor/deer controller in lochaber,although he didnt take guests out as such he somehow got in tow with 2 older guys from manchester and they came up pretty regularly to go out with them,they took oneout each and dougie got his man into a stag which he shot as it was near dark he went and got landrover and told his man to go downto the stag and get it gralloched,when he got back he drove right down to where it was and got out and they got it into back of vehicle,as dougie reversed out there was a crunching noise from the back end so he stopped and they got out to see what it was,it turns out his client had rested the rifle against the back of the land rover before they lifted stag in and in the poor light never seen it before he got in!!one new mannlicher 270 and zeiss scope lay mangled on the ground under the land rover!!!he did return many a time after that but funnily enough he was very careful to check he had rifle with him every time he got into vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Returning home, but it didn't make the experience any less painful. The rod was handbuilt for me by an old boy on speyside.
    You must have been devastated! The thought of it makes me shiver. I once caught the end of a rubbish rod in an electric window and still felt awful. To lose something as special as yours would have me in tears. I hope the replacement has gone some way towards meaning as much to you as the original.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\