Moderators off ticket

spandit

Now that some improvements are trickling into firearms law regarding expanding ammunition, estate rifle etc. how likely is it that moderators will be unrestricted? It's not as if it turns any rifle into a silent assassin tool and for something that helps avoid a noise nuisance in this little country of ours, it seems counterproductive for them to be FAC items.

Reactions: JTO
for five years my lot said my sak -17hmr was a pes-mae 22 in the end i gave up trying to explain this time they are not on,even tho they are on my old cert and my sect7.they havn,t got a jar of glue!hopefully it will be home to morrow we are having a party for it.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Moving mods off ticket was a part of the original Crime and policing bill together with expanding ammo and FAC extension but it was thrown out early on during the bills transit through parliament.

Ian.

Do you know why it got thrown out?

From what i remember it was thrown out together with the expanding ammo to section one, and the expired FAC time extension back in May, why it got thrown out i have no idea. The Expanding ammo and FAC extension was reintroduced later in the bills passage is said to become law.

Ian

I agree wholeheatedly, there is little to no 'reason' (that I can think of) as to why Moderators are in the same legal category as a firearm. Removing them from this class would remove a whole heap of paperwork and cost. I find it daft that you can freely buy a .22 'silencer' for an air-rifle but if you subsequently fit it to a .22 firearm, you are breaking the law.

Counterproductive indeed.

I agree wholeheatedly, there is little to no 'reason' (that I can think of) as to why Moderators are in the same legal category as a firearm. Removing them from this class would remove a whole heap of paperwork and cost. I find it daft that you can freely buy a .22 'silencer' for an air-rifle but if you subsequently fit it to a .22 firearm, you are breaking the law.

I get totally confused about this. I had a telephone conversation with my FLO and they said it didn't matter what mod I had on the rifle as long as I had authority for that rifle to have one on written on my ticket. Subsequently I've been told by various people this was wrong info? TBH I don't know what is correct and no longer worry about it.

I

You can freely buy centerfire thro the post no licence.
Just buy all the parts for a modular moderator there is no place for mod component parts and can be posted as what they are lumps of metal . You only commit an offence if you assemble AND fit to a fire arm which you do not have a mod slot for etc .
Now you may not get a company to post to you but there is no law for it

I

Just buy all the parts for a modular moderator there is no place for mod component parts and can be posted as what they are lumps of metal . You only commit an offence if you assemble AND fit to a fire arm which you do not have a mod slot for etc .
Now you may not get a company to post to you but there is no law for it

Try buying a Extra moderator baffle from Jackson Rifles !!!!!! You will have to get a RFD to order pay for it the take your FAC to the RFD and pay for the baffle.
I totally agree it does not make sense because i done a exchange sent my old moderator paid the difference and after email copy of my FAC they sent new moderator to me !!!!!!!

I

Now you may not get a company to post to you but there is no law for it .

Not entirely correct. It’s not an offence to own a moderator in parts or fully assembled that is not listed on your FAC. It’s an offence to use a moderator on a firearm that is not listed on your FAC with a condition for that mod.

You can own as many moderators as you wish, and it is a good idea to have your mods listed on your FAC as Make – unknown and Serial No – N/A.

To protect themselves a number of RFD will only sell you a moderator if you have a slot for it on your FAC. As knowing selling you one that you intend to use on a rifle that you don’t have authority for is an offence.

It’s a very badly worded and confusing piece of legislation.

only got mine back this week after they made another balls up,they didnt put my 308 mod on that i have on my old cert and mysect7,but they worked overtime to sort it and put it back on,so i wouldn,t be holding my breath on that one.;)

It’s an offence to use a moderator on a firearm that is not listed on your FAC with a condition for that mod.

How so?

None of the firearms on my FAC (and many others issued by the more efficient FLDs) have any conditions attached to them relating to the moderators also shown on it.

In fact the only condition on my FAC (singular) states:

"The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game, deer and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing-practice on ranges, on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

Where's the offence?

How so?

None of the firearms on my FAC (and many others issued by the more efficient FLDs) have any conditions attached to them relating to the moderators also shown on it.

In fact the only condition on my FAC (singular) states:

"The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game, deer and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing-practice on ranges, on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

Where's the offence?

This is wrong. A moderator is licensable so has to be listed in the Conditions governing use.

I only have centre-fire rifles, but in calibre terms these cover about 95% of Guntrader sales by volume. Moderators need to be expressly permitted for use. Cambridgeshire have parsed the sporting condition to the minimum so my FAC now has but one Condition:-

5. The (calibre A, B, C, D, E, F) rifles, sound moderators and the ammunition to which this certificates relates shall be used for shooting any lawful quarry, and for zeroing practice on ranges, or on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Whilst I agree that a sound moderator is an essential piece of health and safety equipment there is a doubly whammy associated with the legislation surrounding them. Certificate control exists for “items designed to reduce the noise or flash of a firearm". Amongst other things a sound moderator also eliminates flash. So the thinking concerning flash, and as to why hiding it is prohibited, would also need to be navigated.

Back