Thread: Folding high seat problem

Folding high seat problem

Guys
    anyone had any problem with the aluminium folding high seats

I purchased 4 less than a year ago and put them in position, properly installed with a ground anchor etc, worked a treat

Until I went to move two of them, the aluminum upright were the first rung is, has snapped off on one side it looks like it's buckled and the thin aluminium has torn around the rung, suggesting it's not thick enough metal to support the weight after the hole for the rung has been installed

ive cut them down to the next rung and fixed an ally strip along the length of the upright to give support and installed a ground anchor rod each side

anyone else had any problems

cheers

phil
    Last edited by philip; 18-12-2016 at 22:54.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Guys
    anyone had any problem with the aluminium folding high seats

I purchased 4 less than a year ago and put them in position, properly installed with a ground anchor etc, worked a treat

Until I went to move two of them, the aluminum upright were the first rung is, has snapped off on one side it looks like it's buckled and the thin aluminium has torn around the rung, suggesting it's not thick enough metal to support the weight after the hole for the rung has been installed

ive cut them down to the next rung and fixed an ally strip along the length of the upright to give support and installed a ground anchor rod each side

anyone else had any problems

cheers

phil
    A picture paints a 1000 words.....load up some pics! To be honest you have answered your own question with not enough metal around the joint. Ally wont rust but it will seize.

I make my own so curse when carrying them a good distance as they are over spec, but I don't for see any thing giving way.....

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I'm with Tim.243 ally wont rust but it does corrode, shame you're not closer I'd re-enforce it for you.

Personally I believe over engineering is underrated.

Cheers Guys

i think the work I've carried out on them will be suffice, going to sort the other two out tomorrow.

alloy angle plate on the sides and double ground anchors, they won't be going anywhere, the seat end is comfortable and a solid adjustable rail, really good seats and being alloy easy to move about which is the reason I got them, might see if ladder part can be replaced with two part galvanised steel ladder, they are worth a bit of work

ATbB

phil