Thread: Knurling brass cases

Knurling brass cases

can anyone shed some light on this please

Account Suspended
    When sizing sometimes the case mouth gets knurled is this the area your reffering to?

If so you need to check case measurements for length against recomendations in the handbook and use a case trimming lath to reduce the length ,then internal and external trim case mouth to remove burr

Do you mean 'annealing' - i.e. heating the necks of your cases to soften them and extend case life?

If so, I found this article told me everything I need to know - it's well worth doing if you shoot an unusual calibre with hard to source / make brass, or if you shoot cheap brass with a tendency to harden after a couple of firings (I find PPU brass is particularly prone to this). Mind you, if the price of new cases keeps going up, I might have to begin annealing ordinary cases...

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Adam.

I have knurled bullets with a Corbin tool, and I have crimped case necks. I have seen knurled areas on 38 Special brass which was supposedly to keep deep-seated bullets from being pushed into the case even deeper yet, but I have never seen knurled rifle cases. (Tho they would be distinctively attractive and easy to grip on cold mornings!) ~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have knurled bullets with a Corbin tool, and I have crimped case necks. I have seen knurled areas on 38 Special brass which was supposedly to keep deep-seated bullets from being pushed into the case even deeper yet, but I have never seen knurled rifle cases. (Tho they would be distinctively attractive and easy to grip on cold mornings!) ~Muir
    your wicked

7.62x51 nato fired from a H&K with fluted chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    A reloaders nightmare!! (Been there, Done that) ~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Tell me you dont reload berdan primed cases do you?
    Do you use a drybollock one?

and then re drill the flash hole out

i used to shoot Radway green crap when shooting for the county at altcar but could not use reloads in competetions
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 10-07-2010 at 13:09.

No I don't but not all Nato 7.62 ammo IS Berdan. I have some marked OFV which is Boxer primed. Don't use it now but I used to. I was also not aware that all RG 7.62 was crap? I have converted 7.62x5$R in the past to boxer primer. Made a little tool and bored out the primer pocket on the Ward capstan. I have alos never had an H&K but have made parts fro them in the past along with the SA80.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Do you mean 'annealing' - i.e. heating the necks of your cases to soften them and extend case life?

If so, I found this article told me everything I need to know - it's well worth doing if you shoot an unusual calibre with hard to source / make brass, or if you shoot cheap brass with a tendency to harden after a couple of firings (I find PPU brass is particularly prone to this). Mind you, if the price of new cases keeps going up, I might have to begin annealing ordinary cases...

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Adam.
    this is what i was thinking of (wife put me off)
    thanks muir your a star