Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Election Update

American Election Update

For those that are interested, the American Electoral College met to cast their votes today and Donald Trump handily surpassed the threshold required to become President. There was a great deal of "fake" news about electors changing their votes. What happened is that 2 Republican voters (out of 306) refused to vote for Trump. They were from a state that did allow voting of conscience but they have almost certainly lost their credentials in the Republican establishment.

What is bigger news is that as many as 8 Democrat electors (of approximately 170) refused to vote for Clinton. Several were immediately replaced as faithless electors and their replacement dutifully voted for Clinton. Four others (all from the state of Washington) also refused and are apparently going to be charged with a crime by the Democratic Attorney General of their home state.

There are 2 more steps left in the process. On Jan 6th the Congress (our upper and lower houses) will convene to certify the results. This is a foregone conclusion because the Republican Party currently has the majority in each house. The final step will be Jan 20th when Trump is formally sworn in as President.

Now, that all being said, there is one very bright spot on the horizon for we shooters. As I have said previously, we treat moderators here as no different than fully automatic machine guns - with excessive purchase, possession, and transportation restrictions. There is a bill before congress that Trump has stated he will sign, that would remove those restrictions and make purchasing a moderator as simple (or perhaps even simpler) as purchasing a firearm. That alone would be a huge step forward for us.

Well I will come back from the states on 18th Jan so I will be able to catch the inaugeration on German TV.
    "Ask not what my country can do for me" he will certainly not be saying aka JFK so wait for surprises there.
    I went to a small gun show in Grand Junction Colorado last Saturday and there was much interesting black stuff on sale (Jim Zumbos description).
    Now I am in Carson City after doing the highway 50 east to west drive (do it, it was a fantastic drive), just missed the decima storm by a few hours to go west over the rockies and they closed the interstate behind me a few hours later.
    Most folks here so far have told me that they voted for Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Now, that all being said, there is one very bright spot on the horizon for we shooters. As I have said previously, we treat moderators here as no different than fully automatic machine guns -
    Yea, one huge bright spot in moving to the UK and hunting was threading my rifle and using a moderator...it makes so much sense in the field and on the range...health and safety at its best! I just hoped it doesn't get abused over there.

Don't worry Cootmeurer, on the evening of 20 January 17, the Obama years will be chiselled into the history books as "THE LOST YEARS"

Bavarianbrit: No offense, but I don't know how you live in Germany. Its just not the same country it used to be.

-Z
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 20-12-2016 at 05:31.

Well the reason being is that I have had a German partner for the last 36 years and through her two daughters also three step grandchildren if that is the correct description, I have worked a lot over there since 1973 so feel I know the mentality fairly well. Yes agreed it is not the same as it was between say 1933-45 assuming that was your point so thats why I am fairly happy there, for instance there is almost no foulmouthing to be heard in the streets unlike Dover where my UK base is and almost no littering, the UK has altered out of all recognition IMO since the 70s and not I feel all for the better. Plus my pistols are still allowed which was the main reason for my emigration from a lovely 250 y/o 5 bed house in Deal to begin a new life over there where gun legislation has less power as hunting / shooting are far more acceptable to the population.
    They have qualities that only become clear to you after a long association and they are generally really putting their bad past behind them (taking in 1.2 million refugees in 1 year compared to the 20,000 in the next 5 years from Camerons lot).

Thanks for your precise of the current US presidential situation. Now USA has had a wake up call like UK and if our politicians smell the gravy they might start to represent their electorate or get back in touch. Ie get out and press the flesh rather relying on the focus groups.

All the best for the US and with luck if we come over to varmit hunt we can bring our moddies with us.

D

Account Suspended
    merkels germany is slowly going down the toilet

SD Regular
    I have to say that I have always found the German Consular authorities absolutely 100% straight when it comes to my dealings with them. The French Consular authorites, unless they fear admonition from superiors 100% duplicitous and the British Home Office beneath contempt as start the "game" with one set of rules then change the rules at half-time if they aren't winning.

I always was of the opinion that Germany was not a place or a people I would take to .....worked there for few months and a nicer people and place you couldn't be !
    Only met one stereo typical achtung German and he was 20 yrs my junior and not happy being supervised on job by a non German ...soon sorted him out , as for his colleagues ...... brilliant guys
    Lovely place .. go back in a heartbeat

As for not the country it once was ........

Well can certainly say three same about old Blighty eh?

Look at the laughing stock we are / become .....vote a major huge influential change ......& rest of the world sits back & watches whilst we can't even agree how to implement the change ...

Doesn't matter if your German or British .....every nation has its genuine people ......& it's fair share of ar5eholes .....U.K. Included

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    I always was of the opinion that Germany was not a place or a people I would take to .....worked there for few months and a nicer people and place you couldn't be !
    Only met one stereo typical achtung German and he was 20 yrs my junior and not happy being supervised on job by a non German ...soon sorted him out , as for his colleagues ...... brilliant guys
    Lovely place .. go back in a heartbeat

As for not the country it once was ........

Well can certainly say three same about old Blighty eh?

Look at the laughing stock we are / become .....vote a major huge influential change ......& rest of the world sits back & watches whilst we can't even agree how to implement the change ...

Doesn't matter if your German or British .....every nation has its genuine people ......& it's fair share of ar5eholes .....U.K. Included

Paul
    +1

I spent 30 years in Germany, and 30 in the United States (my home), and plan on spending the rest of my life here, in Scotland. I have found good and bad with all of the countries I have visited/lived in and don't expect that to ever change.

As for the USA and the election...

Totally agree and I also hope to just stay here in Scotland. Been lots of other places but just seem content here now.
    As for US politics... No comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BearStalker View Post
    +1

I spent 30 years in Germany, and 30 in the United States (my home), and plan on spending the rest of my life here, in Scotland. I have found good and bad with all of the countries I have visited/lived in and don't expect that to ever change.

As for the USA and the election...