High seat sessions

Bukshot

Hi all. Would like to hear views on what should be considered the norm for how many hours amount to a session or 'stalk' in a high seat. Not interested in opening up a debate about prices/costs charged for stalking. I would have considered say at least 3 hours in a high seat to amount to a session - what do you think? Cheers.

I usually sit in the high seat for the 1st hour of light, having arrived 30 minutes before, then think about leaving and follow the sage bit of advice that I read on here somewhere of then waiting another 10 minutes. The extra time resulted in a munty last time out but usually on my ground that first 30 minutes of light are the key ones.

Hi all. Would like to hear views on what should be considered the norm for how many hours amount to a session or 'stalk' in a high seat. Not interested in opening up a debate about prices/costs charged for stalking. I would have considered say at least 3 hours in a high seat to amount to a session - what do you think? Cheers.[/QUOTE

With my seats I have dotted around then I work off trail cam info for the Muntjac, around 2 hours with one seat I leave 1/2 an hour early. Other places I pitch up tucked into a hedge and wait, usually after harvest with a good chance of a fox as well. I've got to the point of packing up a little early as I would rather come back the next day than be looking for a tiny dark deer in the pitch black. But that is just me........

Tim.243

I think it depends on a lot of things.
If it's for a paid session or somewhere on your own ground.
The location of the seat and the movements of the deer in that area.
Weather conditions & wind direction.
How long you can sit still for.
Movements of others in the area e.g. Dog walkers, mountain bikers etc.
Longest I've spent in a high seat was a couple of years ago 5 weeks after a hip replacement operation. Mid December mate picked me up and dropped me near a seat on our syndicate ground about an hour before first light. He went stalking and I watched the woods wake up. Mid morning shot a fox then just before last light got a doe. Was picked up about an hour after last light.
Wingy

I usualy try and be in the seat 30mins before daylight and I leave when I have to go to work :D

Looking at my cull records a surprising number of deer have been shot between 8 and 9am

An equaly surprising number of 0 deer have been shot at first light.

In the evening ill usualy plan for a 3 hour stay

Again out of 23 deer shot in two and a half years, only 1 (my first fallow) was at last light. Such a short time and small number of deer is not a great bassis for statistics I know but It surprised me.

I have in the winter staid all day with a break for breakfast/brunch

On the 30th ill be in the seat around 6:30am till 10:30 ish and leaving it for brunch and back for 20:30ish to last light around 4:30pm

Unless I get one in the morning

ATB

The high seat sessions I have are part of a paid syndicate but are limited to high seat work in the evenings only. However the time offered in the high seats is only 1-1.5 hours before the sun goes down and I don't feel that is quite long enough - hence the success rates which haven't been great.

my 2p worth to be honest.
I like to be out all day as i'v had the chance at deer at all times of the day ,drop off and pick up or text if there is one ready to collect sitting out just watching quite, as long as the seat is't one of them horrid bucket seats with steel ladders and no room to swing a tree rat, I am happy to sit it out with a drop of hot tea and a banjo job done , after all unless you have someplace to go for a few hours like your close to home ,what on earth can you do if you are on a away day stalk outing ! but sit in your car waiting thinking I could do this in a high seat ???? if your trusted to sit on your own for three hrs why not all day ??:popcorn:

Im not sure what your asking. If its a paid stalk, make sure you ask how long it will be and what you'll be doing weather you'll just sit in the seat or stalk on foot for a bit too etc, you can't go wrong then.

If your asking how long to wait in a seat. Personally I don't think you can answer that question. Dependant on lots of factors as already mentioned but ultimately really depends on how long your happy to sit there for. Sometimes i think this isn't going to go well and go for a walk others I'm happy to sit and wait longer. If you stalk on the same ground you'll soon learn where they are and aren't. Im sure we've all shot deer on the way to or from a seat and having only just sat in a seat. Time spent on recon is never wasted. They always seem to pop out when I'm not expecting it.

3 hours in a high seat, unless it is in a hotspot of deer activity sounds really uncomfortable. Personally I prefer to stalk on foot and go to a high seat 3/4 of an hour or so before dusk

It always amuses me why people move to highseats in the dark, i quite often shoot something on the way to the seat. Bumping deer in the dark is one way to clear a wood.

It always amuses me why people move to highseats in the dark, i quite often shoot something on the way to the seat. Bumping deer in the dark is one way to clear a wood.

I've frequently gone to the high seat in the dark - but I know where they are and how to get to them without too much disturbance. If I'm there 30 minutes before legal shooting time then chances are some deer or other will be moving around regardless.

In general I find deer are pretty resilient, at least where I stalk as there are quite a lot of dog walkers, etc. I've frequently shot deer only to have another come out whilst I've been gralloching, so clearing the woods of deer would take some doing! I'm talking roe and muntjac, though, rather than fallow.

Back to the OP, I'd think a couple of hours in a high seat would normally be enough for anyone. I've spent more in them, but then I'll have the binos or camera to break up the monotony.

I don't know whose Law it is, but I've lost count of the times when I've decided to get down from a high seat only to spot a deer when I'm then one or two rungs from the top. It doesn't seem to matter how much time I spend scanning beforehand, the deer only decide to make themselves visible when I'm either ascending or descending the ladder.

Willie_gunn (and all others) thanks for your replies. Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more, but on this particular estate that I have managed to get some shooting on, is paid, syndicated, but shooting is strictly from high seats in the evenings only - not shots allowed while on foot to and from the high seats. Guess my point is that if your going out for an evening stalk, which limits you to shooting window of 1-1.5 hours from a high seat only, then is it really worth it? The cost of the stalking isn't an issue but doing a 220 mile round trip to sit for an hour and a bit in a high seat is becoming irritating. Perhaps need to look elsewhere for some better stalking!!

This time of year, especially on Fallow you need to be in the seat before light. I would sit it out until dark on the evening session, or you cannot see through the scope properly. However the law dictates one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset.

At this time of year 3 hours is a long time in a seat, especially if its really cold or wet. I usually allow 2 to 3 hours for clients in a seat depending on the time of year, but restricting you to 1.5hrs is limiting it a bit I would have thought, but there may be strict rules applied to members of your syndicate?

I should add that in the evening a wounded deer by any client can be problematic, more so than the morning session as at least in the morning you have light on your side. Having a dog that can track available is important.

As Malc says, 1 - 1.5 hours is a bit limiting, particularly if you have a 220 mile round trip to consider. I normally figure it takes 30 minutes from getting into the high seat for the area to settle down, so I'd feel up against it if I only then had another 30-45 minutes before having to get down again.

Do they actually mandate what constitutes "the evening"? If not, I'd perhaps consider getting there an hour earlier, as 2 - 2.5 hours would seem like it gave a bit more of an opportunity.

Willie_gunn (and all others) thanks for your replies. Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more, but on this particular estate that I have managed to get some shooting on, is paid, syndicated, but shooting is strictly from high seats in the evenings only - not shots allowed while on foot to and from the high seats. Guess my point is that if your going out for an evening stalk, which limits you to shooting window of 1-1.5 hours from a high seat only, then is it really worth it? The cost of the stalking isn't an issue but doing a 220 mile round trip to sit for an hour and a bit in a high seat is becoming irritating. Perhaps need to look elsewhere for some better stalking!!

This seems a bit unfair on the face of it (but I don't know the full facts / arrangements) I don't know how much your paying for your place in the syndicate or how many are in it but don't think I would be happy to make a 220 mile round trip for 1 1/2 hour high seat stalking. Unless I was shooting 2-3 deer every trip lol but even then I'd end up being bored. Personally I'd look for something better or closer to home. My stalking syndicate is a 6 hour travelling time round trip but I make a weekend of it including foxing after dark.
Wingy

For that sort of time and cost I'd be hoping for a full enclosed hochsitz Schlaf kanzel not some busted wooden structure strapped to a tree with no protection.

Read that as 'large busted woman' the first time - I guess that would help as well.
The only use for seats on my ground is to stick people in who a) aren't familiar with the ground b) too lazy to walk and stalk.

I agree those terms seem very restrictive, but maybe there are other factors like insurance etc they are concerned about?

Hi all. Would like to hear views on what should be considered the norm for how many hours amount to a session or 'stalk' in a high seat. Not interested in opening up a debate about prices/costs charged for stalking. I would have considered say at least 3 hours in a high seat to amount to a session - what do you think? Cheers.

Arrive and settle in the high seat 1 hour before sunrise, or 1 hour before sunset. In the first case that gives you unlimited time as it only gets lighter. Until you freeze, cramp-up or nature calls. In the second case that gives you 1.5 hours - 1.75 hours, or on a very clear night 2 hours.

I've frequently gone to the high seat in the dark - but I know where they are and how to get to them without too much disturbance. If I'm there 30 minutes before legal shooting time then chances are some deer or other will be moving around regardless.

In general I find deer are pretty resilient, at least where I stalk as there are quite a lot of dog walkers, etc. I've frequently shot deer only to have another come out whilst I've been gralloching, so clearing the woods of deer would take some doing! I'm talking roe and muntjac, though, rather than fallow.
spot on Willie
also as part of collaborative days deer will move almost any hour and un less specified it would be unsafe to leave the high seat for walkabouts of any distance .
Norma

Back