Minimum calibre Hungary

Boarboy

Does anyone know what the minimum is in Hungary? Could I use my 6.5 X 55 with 156 gr round nose.? I appreciate it is not the ideal, but just looking into the laws. From what I have found, it only gives "recommendations" , looking for more lawful info. Thanks

It may be worth checking with your outfitter what they require? Or is this a more general query on the law of the land?

I gather a lot of countries on the continent require a 10 gram minimum bullet weight but that's about all I know.

I vaguely remember a conversation with a Hungarian hunter many years ago, and I think he said that his rifle had to fulfill a minimum energy requirement, not a minimum calibre requirement.

I gather a lot of countries on the continent require a 10 gram minimum bullet weight but that's about all I know.

Often combined with energy requirements. As an example, from the FACE information on Sweden:

Only rifles can be used for certain game, including moose, red deer and bear. For ammunition the
following requirements apply. Bullets which weigh at least 10 grams (154 grains) must have an
impact energy of at least 2.000 joules at 100 metres from the muzzle. Bullets, which weigh
between 9 and 10 grams (139-154 grains) must have an impact energy of at least 2.700 joules
at 100 metres from the muzzle.

To the OP. This information on Hungary appears to be a bit dated but might still be valid, and you can always confirm by emailing the national hunting organisation,
Országos Magyar Vadászati Védegylet, from the link contained in the document: http://www.face.eu/sites/default/files/hungary_en.pdf

Although, as it is repeated on this outfitter's website it's probably still current:
http://www.huntinginhungary.eu/eng/useful_informations/general_informations/

Which country? I'm genuinely interested since all minimums I've stumbled upon are 9 gram, usually combined with energy (e.g. 2700J) or bullet diameter (e.g. 6.5mm) requirement.

Norway. Apparently. GFrom an old thread on here:

Norway we have the following requirements (google translate used!):

Regulations governing the practice of hunting and trapping
Chapter 5 Weapons and ammunition
§ 16 Requirements for rifle ammunition

For moose, red deer, fallow deer, caribou, wild boar, wild sheep, musk ox or hunting of wolves and bears, use ammunition with expanding projectiles with a minimum weight of 9 grams and with the following energy estimate:

a) for ammunition with bullet weight between 9 grams (138.9 grains) and 10 grams (154 grain) should be a minimum impact energy of 2700 joules (275 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.
b) ammunition with bullet weight of 10 grams or more shall be a minimum impact energy of 2200 joules (225 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.

When hunting with a rifle for deer, beaver and lynx or killing of wolverines and lynx, use ammunition with expanding projectiles and impact energy must be at least 980 joules (100 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.

I recently asked the same question to an outfitter advertising on here and he told me 243 and above although he strongly didn't recommend the 243!

I have never been refused entry,arrested or deported from Hungary for shooting their boar with a 6.5x55.

i have had my visitors hunting licence scrutinised by the relevant authorities and been breathalysed by the police prior to going hunting. That's as far as it's gone.

I have never been refused entry,arrested or deported from Hungary for shooting their boar with a 6.5x55.i have had my visitors hunting licence scrutinised by the relevant authorities and been breathalysed by the police prior to going hunting. That's as far as it's gone.

On one of your trips there was one member using a .243 and he acquitted himself very well indeed, to such an extent that I didn't want to stand near him on future stands other than to watch him !
It could have had something to do with shot placement, but he certainly did that.

Back