CZ are joining the Grendel game.

Interesting list - I wish we had half of it. What's the score on 6.5 grendel compared with 6.5 swede? Interested to know why you would have one over the other.

You are looking at a 120gn Bullet doing 2,700 fps giving 1900 ft lbs of energy, so it meets all the deer legal requirements. And it fits into the mini CZ and other micro length actions. Now the 6.5 bullets have a good reputation for working well on most deer and the little CZ American - or a nice custom built rifle of similar proportions fitted with a sleek Z3 3-9x36 scope would I think be a really nice little smaller deer rifle for walking around with - on a par with a 243 in terms of energy, but a bit bigger and bit slower bullet, so less mess methinks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

You are looking at a 120gn Bullet doing 2,700 fps giving 1900 ft lbs of energy, so it meets all the deer legal requirements. And it fits into the mini CZ and other micro length actions. Now the 6.5 bullets have a good reputation for working well on most deer and the little CZ American - or a nice custom built rifle of similar proportions fitted with a sleek Z3 3-9x36 scope would I think be a really nice little smaller deer rifle for walking around with - on a par with a 243 in terms of energy, but a bit bigger and bit slower bullet, so less mess methinks.

I have a .223 Rem with a 3-9x36 and it is a very sweet munty / light foxing rifle. In 6.5 Grendel it could be a very interesting. Even with a 22" barrel it isn't a long set up....

The over under looks good with the 3.5" chambers. Be nice if we could get the CZ side by sides...

This is as far as I have got so far with my CZ in Grendel.

[h=2]Load testing for my CZ527[/h]
Bolt action loads please do not use in your semi/fully automatic wpn.

Hello the hoard some results from last Sat on the range.

All loads are in Hornady brass, CCI450 primers, CFE powder and 123g SST.
All readings taken 15 foot from my muzzle. All strings are ten rnds
Weather 20deg C, 79 Ft above sea level. 979mb

The rife CZ527, 22 inch tube, with my moderator and vortex scope.

The following all had a COL of 2.255

30.9 Average fps 2586.9
31.2 Average fps 2612.3
31.5 Average fps 2628.3
31.8 Average fps 2664.5
32.1 average fps 2700.4

The following all had a COL of 2.285

30.9 Average fps 2578.5
31.2 Average fps 2634.7
31.5 Average fps 2641.5
31.8 Average fps 2675.7
32.1 Average fps 2684.2

I also shot a control of ten rnds factory load before the above which gave an average fps 2532.4.

I still have not processed the empties, there is not much in the way of any indication of any problems. So if you would like a photo please ask.

I have images of the groups but I was more concerned with not shooting the Chronograph.

Bolt action loads please do not use in your semi/fully automatic wpn.

Give 8208 a try...seems to be the go to powder these days. Using H-335 I got similar velocities out of an AR, but was on the hairy edge of blowing primers when the temps went above 95*F.

OAN, some cases are LR primered (PPU) and don't allow as much pressure/velocity...stick with the Hornady.

The Grendel is a dandy little cartridge (even took mine out to 955yds during a match; obviously a calm wind morning)...

Looks interesting. I wonder how that sharp shouldered round will feed though?

David.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I wonder how that sharp shouldered rtound will feed though?

David.
CZs are a fairly straight feed into the chamber. Won't be a problem. The Grendel is neat but what caught my eye was the suppressor ready American synthetic in 300AAC. I could live with one of those.....~Muir

Got all excited about this but just looked at some actual load data rather than a wiki link, both Viht and hodgdon top out at 2400-2450 for a 120 gr bullet so with this weight, and heavier you'll be struggling or loading very hot to be legal for anything in England other than small dee, Which I can already do with my .223. You might just squeak it with 100 gr bullet but possibly a bit close for comfort

Last edited:
Bear in mind, the Hodgdon data is extremely conservative...exceptionally conservative actually. That being said, 120/123gr bullets are about the limit of heavy bullets in this cartridge. 2600fps is easily within the range of achievable with 120's (assuming small rifle primer pocket brass).

Got all excited about this but just looked at some actual load data rather than a wiki link, both Viht and hodgdon top out at 2400-2450 for a 120 gr bullet so with this weight, and heavier you'll be struggling or loading very hot to be legal for anything in England other than small dee, Which I can already do with my .223. You might just squeak it with 100 gr bullet but possibly a bit close for comfort

Have a look at my real world post on the front page. You have seen people playing very safe with their data.

Mate of mine has the 7.62 CZ527 and is chuffed with it. Happy shooting Muir!
Thanks Amigo. I already have the 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 and love it. It is a one holer with handloads and has exceptional wood.
This, however, is what I ordered.~Muir

527SuppressorReady-500x333.png

Back