Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: What partner calibre for 6.5 X 55?

  1. #1

    What partner calibre for 6.5 X 55?

    Hi. I was thinking of getting another .308 for everything, so in my case deer and boar abroad. But I really like shooting my 6.5 X 55 and was thinking of another calibre to compliment this, purely for abroad use, driven boar and plains game. It would be in the blaser system, so just a barrel. I'm not that fond of sharp heavy recoiling cartridges if that helps?! Thanks.

  2. #2
    9.3x62 buddy! You know you want one!
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

  3. #3
    Will send you a pm! Thanks Scrumbag

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    9.3x62 buddy! You know you want one!

    +1.

    David.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    9.3x62 buddy! You know you want one!
    Yep, short barrel (open sights if you want) 232gr bullets and you won't even notice the relatively mild recoil in the heat of battle!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yep, short barrel (open sights if you want) 232gr bullets and you won't even notice the relatively mild recoil in the heat of battle!

    I'm not sure I'd go with the 232s. 286 gr Norma Oryx will work well.

    Sights wise I'd go with a 1.5-6x42 or the Kahles 1.5-8x42 both with illuminated no 4 rets. Then if you sit for a boar you have an optic that will do well enough in low light too

    Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Hi. I was thinking of getting another .308 for everything, so in my case deer and boar abroad. But I really like shooting my 6.5 X 55 and was thinking of another calibre to compliment this, purely for abroad use, driven boar and plains game. It would be in the blaser system, so just a barrel. I'm not that fond of sharp heavy recoiling cartridges if that helps?! Thanks.
    For driven I have a 9.3x62, & a 9.3x74R double rifle. I started with 286g Oryx in the 9.3x74R, because that's what I had it regulated to, but having shot some Geco 255g, I bought for practice, it shot as well, if not better than the Oryx, was a fraction of the price, and dropped the boar it their tracks.

    So when I got the 9.3x62, I tried the Geco 255g, and it worked well in that too. That said, Like Orion, I've also started to load with the 232g Oryx, which is more than capable of putting any boar down, or big Red stag down but shoots a little faster, and feels a little softer.

    I would not use either of these shooting from a seat, because whilst shooting driven, and shooting stood up, I'm oblivious of the recoil, even shooting a string of six shots, but the same isn't true shooting from the bench, and I think they could be pretty uncomfortable from a seat, where you may have to shoot from all manner of angles.

    I currently use a 7x64 from a seat, and I would have thought your 6.5x55 would be perfect from a seat too.

    Personally, I would pick a 30-06 over a 308, if you don't like the idea of a 9.3. Also, I would suggest getting it conditioned for use in the UK, because if you say it's only for use abroad, that's what they'll give you, and you never know if you'll need it over here !

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    I'm not sure I'd go with the 232s. 286 gr Norma Oryx will work well.

    Sights wise I'd go with a 1.5-6x42 or the Kahles 1.5-8x42 both with illuminated no 4 rets. Then if you sit for a boar you have an optic that will do well enough in low light too
    I've been using the 232g Orxy and they are very good on boar and red stags (even roe in the UK. ) and group well from my Merkel Helix:

    Attachment 77412
    First was a sighter followed by an elevation adjustment, then the remaining four into the top of the bull @ 100m.

    If an optical sight is required you'll be hard pushed to improve on the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 for the driven aspect, with it's massive 42.5m FOV @100m (the 1.5-6x42 Kahles is 25m @100m). It might not have quite the low light performance, but it's adequate and the illuminated CDI reticle is excellent for both disciplines.

  9. #9
    Nowt wrong with the 9.3x62 - popular on the continent for Boar and has been used in Africa since it was developed in 1905. But you might want a little bit more and go for a 375 H&H, but in the Blaser system you would need a new bolt, and I am not sure the 375H&H would be that comfortable in a light Blaser. Also have a thunk about 300 win mag - load it up with 220gn bullets and you have the thump required for closer range Boar and big stuff, but drop down to 165gn / 180 gn for a very flat shooting long range calibre.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    ................but in the Blaser system you would need a new bolt, and I am not sure the 375H&H would be that comfortable in a light Blaser. Also have a thunk about 300 win mag...................
    Does the 300 Win Mag use the same bolt as the 6.5x55 in the Blaser system?

Similar Threads

  1. Partner for my .243
    By jon15 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 21-08-2016, 05:36
  2. New stalking partner
    By Landy308 in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 21:37
  3. foxing partner
    By evans in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-12-2013, 18:20
  4. Available Lamping Partner!!
    By jonesy471 in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 18:24
  5. Available Lamping partner
    By hole shot in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-11-2011, 20:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •