What partner calibre for 6.5 X 55?

Boarboy

Hi. I was thinking of getting another .308 for everything, so in my case deer and boar abroad. But I really like shooting my 6.5 X 55 and was thinking of another calibre to compliment this, purely for abroad use, driven boar and plains game. It would be in the blaser system, so just a barrel. I'm not that fond of sharp heavy recoiling cartridges if that helps?! Thanks.

Yep, short barrel (open sights if you want) 232gr bullets and you won't even notice the relatively mild recoil in the heat of battle!

I'm not sure I'd go with the 232s. 286 gr Norma Oryx will work well.

Sights wise I'd go with a 1.5-6x42 or the Kahles 1.5-8x42 both with illuminated no 4 rets. Then if you sit for a boar you have an optic that will do well enough in low light too

Scrummy

Hi. I was thinking of getting another .308 for everything, so in my case deer and boar abroad. But I really like shooting my 6.5 X 55 and was thinking of another calibre to compliment this, purely for abroad use, driven boar and plains game. It would be in the blaser system, so just a barrel. I'm not that fond of sharp heavy recoiling cartridges if that helps?! Thanks.

For driven I have a 9.3x62, & a 9.3x74R double rifle. I started with 286g Oryx in the 9.3x74R, because that's what I had it regulated to, but having shot some Geco 255g, I bought for practice, it shot as well, if not better than the Oryx, was a fraction of the price, and dropped the boar it their tracks.

So when I got the 9.3x62, I tried the Geco 255g, and it worked well in that too. That said, Like Orion, I've also started to load with the 232g Oryx, which is more than capable of putting any boar down, or big Red stag down :D but shoots a little faster, and feels a little softer.

I would not use either of these shooting from a seat, because whilst shooting driven, and shooting stood up, I'm oblivious of the recoil, even shooting a string of six shots, but the same isn't true shooting from the bench, and I think they could be pretty uncomfortable from a seat, where you may have to shoot from all manner of angles.

I currently use a 7x64 from a seat, and I would have thought your 6.5x55 would be perfect from a seat too.

Personally, I would pick a 30-06 over a 308, if you don't like the idea of a 9.3. Also, I would suggest getting it conditioned for use in the UK, because if you say it's only for use abroad, that's what they'll give you, and you never know if you'll need it over here !

I'm not sure I'd go with the 232s. 286 gr Norma Oryx will work well.

Sights wise I'd go with a 1.5-6x42 or the Kahles 1.5-8x42 both with illuminated no 4 rets. Then if you sit for a boar you have an optic that will do well enough in low light too

I've been using the 232g Orxy and they are very good on boar and red stags (even roe in the UK. :D) and group well from my Merkel Helix:

View attachment 77412
First was a sighter followed by an elevation adjustment, then the remaining four into the top of the bull @ 100m.

If an optical sight is required you'll be hard pushed to improve on the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 for the driven aspect, with it's massive 42.5m FOV @100m (the 1.5-6x42 Kahles is 25m @100m). It might not have quite the low light performance, but it's adequate and the illuminated CDI reticle is excellent for both disciplines.

Nowt wrong with the 9.3x62 - popular on the continent for Boar and has been used in Africa since it was developed in 1905. But you might want a little bit more and go for a 375 H&H, but in the Blaser system you would need a new bolt, and I am not sure the 375H&H would be that comfortable in a light Blaser. Also have a thunk about 300 win mag - load it up with 220gn bullets and you have the thump required for closer range Boar and big stuff, but drop down to 165gn / 180 gn for a very flat shooting long range calibre.

................but in the Blaser system you would need a new bolt, and I am not sure the 375H&H would be that comfortable in a light Blaser. Also have a thunk about 300 win mag...................

Does the 300 Win Mag use the same bolt as the 6.5x55 in the Blaser system?

Does the 300 Win Mag use the same bolt as the 6.5x55 in the Blaser system?
From what I understand from the blaser calibre list, the .300 win mag uses a different bolt head. The 9.3 X 62 would use the same as the 6.5 X 55.

No it uses magnum bolt head. I propose sell 6.5 and get a 30-06. Spend the saved money on a stalking scope and aimpoint.

From what I understand from the blaser calibre list, the .300 win mag uses a different bolt head. The 9.3 X 62 would use the same as the 6.5 X 55.

There you go then, it must be fated that the 9.3x62 is the one for you! :D

Get yourself a late Xmas pressie (and the scope for your birthday)! ;)

For driven I have a 9.3x62, & a 9.3x74R double rifle. I started with 286g Oryx in the 9.3x74R, because that's what I had it regulated to, but having shot some Geco 255g, I bought for practice, it shot as well, if not better than the Oryx, was a fraction of the price, and dropped the boar it their tracks.

So when I got the 9.3x62, I tried the Geco 255g, and it worked well in that too. That said, Like Orion, I've also started to load with the 232g Oryx, which is more than capable of putting any boar down, or big Red stag down :D but shoots a little faster, and feels a little softer.

I would not use either of these shooting from a seat, because whilst shooting driven, and shooting stood up, I'm oblivious of the recoil, even shooting a string of six shots, but the same isn't true shooting from the bench, and I think they could be pretty uncomfortable from a seat, where you may have to shoot from all manner of angles.

I currently use a 7x64 from a seat, and I would have thought your 6.5x55 would be perfect from a seat too.

Personally, I would pick a 30-06 over a 308, if you don't like the idea of a 9.3. Also, I would suggest getting it conditioned for use in the UK, because if you say it's only for use abroad, that's what they'll give you, and you never know if you'll need it over here !

Lateral, I think if you quote Home Office Guidelines saying minimum calibre for boar is .270 and you book a boar outing here then that sounds like good reason to me

;)

Scrummy

Lateral, I think if you quote Home Office Guidelines saying minimum calibre for boar is .270 and you book a boar outing here then that sounds like good reason to me

;)

Scrummy

My FEO is happy that AOLQ on my 6.5x55 covers boar. "Guidelines are no more than that; guidelines" is his view.

That said, I'd be happier with something bigger on driven, so might pop in a 1:1 variation for a 9.3x62, losing the .308 slot

Lateral, I think if you quote Home Office Guidelines saying minimum calibre for boar is .270 and you book a boar outing here then that sounds like good reason to me.

There shouldn't be any reason to book an outing in the UK or quote the .270 advisory if your primary 'good reason' of overseas use for a big banger calibre is accepted. All it takes is a reasoned accompanying letter quoting the relevant sections of the HO Guidance and full UK use on deer, boar and AOLQ (with expanding ammo allowance) should follow.

If you are thinking of going to Africa you can take any plains game with a 165gr Barnes or 180gr bonded bullet without the recoil of 250/286gr bullets,
And a 30-06 would be far better at 300+ yards if ever that shot presented itself.

Hi. I was thinking of getting another .308 for everything, so in my case deer and boar abroad. But I really like shooting my 6.5 X 55 and was thinking of another calibre to compliment this, purely for abroad use, driven boar and plains game.

;)

Scrummy

I think my point was missed. Boarboy has "good reason", BUT if he applies for a variation, quoting "purely for abroad use" his FLD may well condition the ammunition that way !

He only needs it conditioned for deer in the UK, and AOLQ will sort the rest out.

I think my point was missed. Boarboy has "good reason", BUT if he applies for a variation, quoting "purely for abroad use" his FLD may well condition the ammunition that way !

He only needs it conditioned for deer in the UK, and AOLQ will sort the rest out.

This puzzles me as if you can only use the ammunition abroad then how do you:-

1) Sight the rifle in?

2) get familar with the rifle?

3) Practice witht eh rifle?

Now I realise that many do not need to practice and are just wonderful natural shooters ................................ but the normal mortals among us require shooting practice. We also require to get used to a rifle to make the best of things especially when rushed as it may well be on driven hunting.

Or does the welfare and humane dispatch not matter once you leave these shores?

Back