Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading for the 6,5x54M-Sch

Reloading for the 6,5x54M-Sch

I know this has been covered before however there might be some new views on the subject. I have an M1900 Steyr Mannlicher–Schönauer chambered in 6,5x54M-Sch, I have a good handful of RWS brass and some 160 grain Hornady round nose, the one thing I do not have is load data however Quickload is to hand and it suggests a conservative load of 40 grains N160 or H4831SC would give 2400fps so I was going to start off at maybe 38 grains and work up however I thought it would be worth asking in case anyone has some direct experience.
    Last edited by Ovenpaa; 21-12-2016 at 20:21.
    /d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/

Quote Originally Posted by Ovenpaa View Post
    I know this has been covered before however there might be some new views on the subject. I have an M1900 Steyr Mannlicher–Schönauer chambered in 6,5x54M0Sch, I have a good handful of RWS brass and some 160 grain Hornady round nose, the one thing I do not have is load data however Quickload is to hand and it suggests a conservative load of 40 grains N160 or H4831SC would give 2400fps so I was going to start off at maybe 38 grains and work up however I thought it would be worth asking in case anyone has some direct experience.
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but why don't you try the powder maker's web site? Quick Load is not a substitute for established loading data. Hodgdon lists MAX charge of H4831 as 40 grains. for a velocity of 2100 fps. ~Muir

That is interesting, I went to both Vihtavuori and Hodgdon and neither appeared to list reloading data for the 6,5x54MS

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/rifle-reloading-data

Do you have a link to your reference please?
    /d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Hi David

Vectan have some reloading data for the MS, see this link:

Kynamco stock some of the Vectan powders and indeed, loaded ammunition. They load a 140 gr bullet as it's difficult (impossible?) to get the 160 gr deer-legal in Scotland due to their strange energy requirements...

HTH

Andrew

PS - did you get the rifle from an RFD in Barrow???
    Last edited by AndrewS; 21-12-2016 at 19:47.

I haven't found any propellant mfr with current data for 6.5x54MSch reloads and have been working with a number of powders to determine a decent working load for the Hornady 160gn RN bullet.
    Quickload data, Reloaders Nest & Steve's Pages have been of some use.

I hadn't considered Vectan though.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 21-12-2016 at 19:52.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thank you for the data Andrew, I have some Vectan powders here already so will take a closer look, unfortunately we no longer live reasonably close to David at Kynamco however it would be good to pop down again at some point. This particular rifle came from Scotland and is a Gibbs take down model
    /d

Quote Originally Posted by Ovenpaa View Post
    Thank you for the data Andrew, I have some Vectan powders here already so will take a closer look, unfortunately we no longer live reasonably close to David at Kynamco however it would be good to pop down again at some point. This particular rifle came from Scotland and is a Gibbs take down model
    At Hodgdon's web site where it has the "Reloading Center" portal page, look at the top tool bar and it says data, then pull down "European Cartridge Loading Data" The 6.5x54MS is there. One of my pet cartridges, btw. Under rated at best.~Muir

PS: And for what it's worth, the latest Hornady Manual, 12th edition, has 6.5x54MS load data. I know how everyone hates those dammed book thingies but there is often some value to them....
    Last edited by Muir; 21-12-2016 at 20:07.

Muir, found it now thank you, I was on a completely different part of the site. I do agree the 6,5x54MS is vastly underrated and I have been a great fan of them for many years however never actually found one that suited me. My yearning for one was rekindled when an M1903 Mannlicher–Schönauer from a local estate came in a few days ago and reminded me I still had not found one and at that stage my wife pointed me to the Gibbs build one, probably because she got to negotiate the price.
    /d

You're welcome! I was going to suggest you tried the NitroExpress.com forum, but I see you have... Nice rifle by the way, glad to see you managed to take it down safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    At Hodgdon's web site where it has the "Reloading Center" portal page, look at the top tool bar and it says data, then pull down "European Cartridge Loading Data" The 6.5x54MS is there. One of my pet cartridges, btw. Under rated at best.~Muir

PS: And for what it's worth, the latest Hornady Manual, 12th edition, has 6.5x54MS load data. I know how everyone hates those dammed book thingies but there is often some value to them....
    I hadn't realised the Hodgdon site had that option Muir. Thanks for that info.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!