Thread: Lyman no. 55 powder dispenser

Lyman no. 55 powder dispenser

Hi, looking at buying a powder dispenser, anyone use or has used a Lyman no.55 powder measure?

i used to use one years ago no problems with it very well made i used to throw a low load and trickle to make it up so i can give any information on accuracy it worked for me and i have always had pride in only retaining accurate rifles

I've given every one I had away. Didn't like them at all.~Muir

I have one which I only us for light charges of fine pistol powder - too fiddly for me.

I never use mine anymore as I prefer to use the Lee dipper spoons and a powder trickler which from my experience is not any slower than using a powder measure. I found that metering extruded powder I could not really get any consistent throws with it and the time it took me to set up a charge on any double based spherical powder I could have loaded at least 30 cases with powder in the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    I never use mine anymore as I prefer to use the Lee dipper spoons and a powder trickler which from my experience is not any slower than using a powder measure. I found that metering extruded powder I could not really get any consistent throws with it and the time it took me to set up a charge on any double based spherical powder I could have loaded at least 30 cases with powder in the same time.
    I don't weigh my loads anymore but I did weigh loads from my #55. With extruded powder it was awful. I have a few measures including the Lee which I find better than my Redding Competition Match. (except for fine powders) My main measure is the Jones Precision. Very expensive @ $550 but it will throw powders like H4350 to +/- a tenth of a grain which is good enough for me, any day.~Muir

I use mine for dumping BP/Pyrodex only. its accurate enough for that.

Ian.

I use mine for Unique. It works fine for me.

SD Regular
    If there's a tip it's to ensure the slides are either truly vertical or at the very least like steps going down so no overhang. And always use the same knocker cadence. Some have a cavity up position start others a cavity down position start. I usually start cavity up with and dump ten charges to settle the powder.

To load I do one knock, dump tbe powder, knock in the dump position. Rotate back up and leave alone whilst I then use the charge I've just thrown. I believe this lets the powder settle. When I'm ready to dump the next load I'll tap dump, tap again, rotate back up.

I have two Lyman 55s and an Ohaus. Used to have RCBS (must number thousands of .303 loaded on that with Viht 140) and CH. Also the sliding across glass window one...Belding and Mull. I prefer the Lyman 55. But as another responder I find Lee's yellow plastic Popeye's pipes my "go to".

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I find Lee's yellow plastic Popeye's pipes my "go to".
    I like them too.

If you want to buy one measure and always be happy with it, buy a Neil Jones Precision measure. They are expensive @ $550 but it's a one time purchase.( I was lucky enough to get mine 2nd hand from an estate sale) With the Jones you can meter a charge of extruded powder and when not exactly on the mark, it will vary only a tenth either way. I did a test throwing 20 charges of H4350 (iirc, maybe 4895?) ) and the standard deviation in charge weight was some insane part of a grain weight, like .0097 grains. Seventeen of the charges were exactly as specified, if I recall correctly. It was close enough so that I absolutely do not feel guilty about not weighing charges for my long range guns.~Muir