Thread: New to deer stalking

New to deer stalking

Hi all,

Wanting to get into deer stalking for quite a long time but don't actually know any stalkers and so looking for advice on the how to get started.

I am 29 and have been target shooting since 15. I've participated in small bore and full bore competitions out to 900 yards. So I think I have a decent base to built on as far as the shooting and general firearm knowledge is concerned. (no FAC currently)

On the hunting side, I've only really done a couple pheasant shoots on a friends farm years ago. Although I am a keen hill walker and have decent navigation/outdoor skills.

I've read around on the internet and it appears the general route I should take is try a package "introduction" deal at one of the commercial hunt providers and then do DSC1. After that, apply for an FAC and start looking to join a club or go to some hunts from this forum. Would this sound like a decent plan of attack or are there alternatives/stop gaps to any of these that I have considered?

Thanks

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by fumiyasu View Post
    Hi all,

Wanting to get into deer stalking for quite a long time but don't actually know any stalkers and so looking for advice on the how to get started.

I am 29 and have been target shooting since 15. I've participated in small bore and full bore competitions out to 900 yards. So I think I have a decent base to built on as far as the shooting and general firearm knowledge is concerned. (no FAC currently)

On the hunting side, I've only really done a couple pheasant shoots on a friends farm years ago. Although I am a keen hill walker and have decent navigation/outdoor skills.

I've read around on the internet and it appears the general route I should take is try a package "introduction" deal at one of the commercial hunt providers and then do DSC1. After that, apply for an FAC and start looking to join a club or go to some hunts from this forum. Would this sound like a decent plan of attack or are there alternatives/stop gaps to any of these that I have considered?

Thanks

Gary

Welcome Gary, There will be an out fit off here close ish to you, so look through the section
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-Opportunities

You will need provider with an " estate rifle" or loan rifle, time and patience.

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Welcome Gary
    As stated above, plenty of outfits on here will take you out for a paid stalk, if you like it after that look into doing your dsc1, and in the meantime check out ranges / clubs in your area and enquire about joining, you never know maybe someone in the club you join might take you out, you can apply for your FAC on the strength of paid stalking (at least i done it up here will depend on your local force) but have a word with them as they will have the contact info for local ranges etc
    Good luck
    Ray

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome to the SD Gary

Geoff

You've joined the Stalking Directory, so you've taken the first step in the right direction! You'll meet some great guys (and a few gals) on this site who'll see you right.

Thanks guys, hopefully will be finally able to get started this year. I think the closest area to me with deer stalking seems to be Shropshire and wales, does anyone know any outfits that are generally recommended for a starters experience type thing?