Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schultz and Larsen

Schultz and Larsen

Calling all S&L owners. I'm quite taken by these rifles in principle and am looking for first hand experience from those who own one.

1. Does the stock keep its looks?
    2. How accurate are they with factory ammo? Are they fussy?
    3. Does the POI change much when barrel is taken off and on?
    4. Would you buy anything different next time?

thanks in advance.

BE

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Calling all S&L owners. I'm quite taken by these rifles in principle and am looking for first hand experience from those who own one.

1. Does the stock keep its looks?
    2. How accurate are they with factory ammo? Are they fussy?
    3. Does the POI change much when barrel is taken off and on?
    4. Would you buy anything different next time?

thanks in advance.

BE
    I have one - A Victory in .308 and I love it, very pleased with it.

The stock keeps its looks well and if it starts to look a bit tired then a rub down with some linseed oil will restore it nicely. I had mine out in the slashing rain a couple of weekends ago and gave it a rub with some linseed when I got home, and its like new now.

Like any rifle they do have particular brands they like. I'm using Federal 150gr Power Shoks in mine and it easily shoots a 1" group at 100 yards with that load. I've also heard S&L seem to like Winchester and RWS ammo though I've not used them myself. Mine didnt get on with Norma at all and the 170gr GECO Teilmantle wasnt much better so I'm not using those any more.

I've not done much barrel removing as I only have the one barrel, but I did take it off and on again when I bought it up at Ivythorn sporting and it didnt seem to make any difference to the POI.

And to question 4, no definitely not! I would buy this rifle again and if I get another calibre (toying with .243 for smaller deer and foxes) then I would buy another S&L Victory in a flash. Or a spare barrel for the one I have!

Cracking rifles with great classic looks and shoot really nicely, cant recommend them enough.
    "If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun."

Self confessed Schultz and Larsen addict.

I do a fair bit of sales and PR for a certain gunshop and have sold a fair few. Customer feedback has been very positive to say the least, so much that Im looking at getting one in one of the higher grades of walnut. They just feel a solid piece of kit.

i have 2 victory's, a 243 and 3006, delighted with them. As said above, the finish dulls in time, but comes alive and looks like new after a 10 second linseed oil wipe. I have a couple of friends who like the look of them dull, but i prefer them when oiled.

Mine has only shot home loads, and i tried them with the loads i had developed for my prohunters, and have simply stuck with it, accuracy is certainly as good as anything else i have shot. No complaints there.

Barrel on and off makes no noticeable difference, but there is a sequence you must follow, it is simple but important.

I can see no reason to ever buy another rifle, these are perfect for my needs, and friends who have looked at and tried them and considering changing to them.

I can see these increasing steadily in cost, as they are so well made, offer so much for so little money in comparison to other brands.

I hope to get a lightweight tactical S&L in the next year. S&L has quite a variety of different actions and a large selection of moderators.
    edi

Thanks for all your replies. Good to hear about keeping POA. Very positive. Think I need to shoulder one and see how it feels

I bought a Schultz and Larsen Classic in 30-06 earlier this year and the added a Victory in 7x57 a few months ago. I am impressed with them; very high quality at a good price.

We have S&L Traveller in 7.92x57, purchased from Ivythorn Shooting. It's an excellent rifle, outstandingly accurate with factory ammunition (Privi softpoints !), and returned to zero on the (so far only) occasion when we took the barrel off and replaced it - simply to test that capability. It shoulders well, brings the sights (Meopta 6x42) perfectly up to the eye, and is lightweight enough to carry all day. The action is slicker than a slick thing on greased ice. The stock is well made and bedded, it takes only a quick wipe with linseed oil to keep it looking pristine. Service from Louis & Steve at Ivythorn was impeccable: I'd recommend paying them a visit and trying one.
    Last edited by meles meles; 23-12-2016 at 17:33. Reason: adding information

Excellent rifles, Steve Beaty stocks them in Somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I bought a Schultz and Larsen Classic in 30-06 earlier this year and the added a Victory in 7x57 a few months ago. I am impressed with them; very high quality at a good price.
    What factory ammo does it like in 7x57 Moonraker?