Vacancy: Apprentice Gunsmith

What a great opportunity to learn a trade like that,good luck to the successful applicant

I got an electrical apprenticeship 50 years ago and have made a good life because of it.
Sadly apprenticeships don't come along like they used to do and anyone that gets a one is very lucky

Last edited:
Didn't get it, they said I was too highly educated for an apprenticeship. Which is surprising as all I have are an A-level and an unfinished foundation degree. Oh well c'est la vie!

Thanks John. I'll give them a shout.

I thought I'd better check the validity of what Milton Keynes College told me (that I was ineligible due to my current qualifications) beforehand and I now have a very low opinion of that particular training provider.

According to the government apprenticeships helpline, because my current qualification and the apprenticeship are in substantively different subjects (Forestry & Gunsmithing) there is NO legislation excluding me from doing it! However, because of my age, 34, there would be minimal government funding to the training provider, Milton Keynes College (the youngest age bracket gets 100% funding)! So I was most likely dropped for younger candidates because I would cost the college too much!

I'm realistic and I can understand the rationale behind that, but to make up a lie because they don't want to admit cost is a factor is pathetic and ultimately could have stopped me from ever applying for another apprenticeship! Way to go Milton Keynes College, I wouldn't sully this forum with the names that you deserve!

Check out the Ferlach gunsmithing school in Austrian as they take students from overseas and the school fees are paid for by the Austrian Government you need to cover your living costs only, 1st year is lived in the student quarters, seriously my pals son is there now on his second year of four years to get his meisterprufung it is even better than an apprenticeship IMO as the qualification is recognised all over the world.

Sherlock, dont want to offend you but now you mentioned that you are 34 i am not surprised you did not get it. at that age you are not the traditional apprentice material, of course they are going to tell you are over qualified because to tell you the truth would be age discrimination.

Ian.

A 4 year training scheme is only one year less than I did at my apprenticeship in 1970 try applying for gunsmith jobs stating you have done an apprenticeship then apply for same job with a different name stating that you did the Ferlach course and see what the response is (sorry about wasting the job offerers time but it is a good way to get a comparison).
Incoming!!!!!!!!!!

Ladbrook & Langton Gunsmiths

We are recruiting !

Are you looking for an apprenticeship with a difference?

Ladbrook & Langton Gunsmiths has been established since 1988 and 2 years ago we moved into new premises. We're now looking for an apprentice who wants to learn about all aspects of gunsmithing over a 5-year training programme.

You may have studied mechanical engineering at college, you might just be fascinated with "how things work" and how to fix things when they go wrong or you could be a keen shot who has always wanted to work with shotguns but didn't know where to start with such a niche profession.

You must be able to deal effectively with customers both face-to-face and over the telephone, and have basic computer skills.

Do you have the desire to learn and be part of our tight-knit team?

Are you......
- Enthusiastic
- A team player
- Practical
- Reliable
- Keen
- A Self-starter

If so, we want to hear from you, so please drop us a line along with your CV

Deadline for applications 16th June

http://www.gunrepair.co.uk/

Back