Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wyre forest

wyre forest

Well I am at it again,putting carrots out on my little bit of permission, at the edge of the wyre forest,hoping to draw a few deer onto it.
    Has any body got any up to date info as regards fc culling or estimated deer numbers within the forest.

Just seems a little strange that my permission is completely private,but not many deer around.
    Yet if you stroll round cannock chase which is humping with all sorts,walkers,bikers,dogs,horses,poachers etc etc,I can see deer every where.
    Tony.

It's possible that they know it's safe within the dog walkers and hikers
    get some salt licks and set up some feed cameras and you may well surprise yourself especially if you have fallow as they go very nocturnal quite quickly and they do move about a lot

good luck regards steve

They've seen you about with the gun Tony ,they no your up to no good mate ...enjoy Christmas then get at it again ..Remember if it's down to luck , the harder you try the luckier your be ...

Thanks, Rich and Steve,I did have trail camera up last year,only had a few deer, come in on the feed,one nice buck and the odd doe with followers.
    I did notice they always arrived after midnight though.
    So do you think the salt licks are worth bothering with?
    Tony.

Deer very quickly wise up to men with guns. If you walk slowly and carefully, they know that you're up to no good and keep a low profile. OTOH if you are moving at a normal pace, looking as though you are just a casual walker, it is surprising how close they'll allow you before clearing off. An old stalker friend, if his way was obstructed by, say, feeding does and fawns, would shoulder his rifle, start walking quickly and whistling nonchalantly as if he were a forestry worker or casual walker. In most circumstances deer would allow him to pass and not run off.
    The advice about trail cameras is excellent, you'll get an idea of the presence of deer, or not, and anything, or anyone else that may be around. Of course, if the camera gets stolen, you have a different problem.
    Peter

I used to farm around that area. I tried all sorts from apple, fodder beet, carrots, molasses, salt blocks but with little success. The deer seem to roam an awful lot. A lot of the wrong people have rifles in that area. The deer are very twitchy. Sometimes you could count 15 then see nothing for months. It is down to luck more than anything. As you say you will see more at night than day. My best spots were clearings in woodland and quiet grass fields on the edge of woodland which had not been grazed with sheep. Just be patient and enjoy your time outside, shooting a deer will be bonus rather than an expectation.

Well said, relish the time spent out.

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Well I am at it again,putting carrots out on my little bit of permission, at the edge of the wyre forest,hoping to draw a few deer onto it.
    Has any body got any up to date info as regards fc culling or estimated deer numbers within the forest.

Just seems a little strange that my permission is completely private,but not many deer around.
    Yet if you stroll round cannock chase which is humping with all sorts,walkers,bikers,dogs,horses,poachers etc etc,I can see deer every where.
    Tony.
    There is a book called https://www.amazon.com/Mapping-Troph.../dp/0873495039

Read it very carefully a few times and you will understand some of the underlying principles of why deer may or may not be in your area regardless of how many baits you put out for them.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I clicked on ur link, from the little detail there, I take it that book is written about USA and i persume stalking in big wilderness areas?
    Not sure how relevant it would be to UK and esp more devolped parts of Eng?
    Can see how that could be transfered across to Oz or NZ but might not really be that relevant to UK as landscape is so artifical and small with so many man made aspects generally being more important as well as neighbouring stalking/shooting pressure having a bigger impact

I know 1 area near me where u cn see large numbers of falow in 1 group who regularly cross a small river but only graze in 2 fields on the far side of it, never see them in any other fields and the nieghbouring farm 2 fields further away has never had a fallow seen on it. And some of the other adjoining fields are acrtually far better grass felds too, for some reason they just have become hefted and even thou numbers density ishigh they still prefer it to spreading out.