Thread: Firearms and youngsters

Firearms and youngsters

17 year old Grandson received a letter from firearm licensing this morning, stating that they expected a change in the law regarding youngsters, this change will bring us into line with the rest of Europe, no one under the age of 18 will be able to buy or borrow either a shotgun or rifle, this change is apparently immanent.

Has anyone else received this communication, how will it affect him he already has a S.G.C and F.A.C letter says he may carry on as usual at the present time and they will contact him when this law is implemented.

He does not own any guns but all my shotguns and rifles or his ticket.

I will contact firearms department on Monday for clarification[ they can't be contacted at the weekend]

Spoke to BASC Bogtrotter. Laws come out today and come into effect on 28 July, 2008. There are exceptions but not clear what they are yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzwild View Post
    Spoke to BASC Bogtrotter. Laws come out today and come into effect on 28 July, 2008. There are exceptions but not clear what they are yet.
    I spoke with Firearms department this morning, will not make a big difference to him as he does not own any firearms at this time

But has all my rifles on his ticket, he may still borrow and use the rifles the only difference is his entitlement to buy ammunition will cease, I may give him ammunition and enter it on his certificate, any unused ammo, will need to be returned to me and re entered on my ticket.

It would appear that youngsters may apply and be granted a shotgun or firearms certificate, but can not buy or hire either shotgun, rifle,or ammunition until reaching the age of 18.

Thanks for the expanded explanation. It was due to come to me by E-mail later. Glad it wont inconvenience you or your grandson too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzwild View Post
    Thanks for the expanded explanation. It was due to come to me by E-mail later. Glad it wont inconvenience you or your grandson too much.
    Thank you, for replying to post and attempting to get the required information.

I have received this from BASC and have been requested to post it on the Forum.

Just a note to say that The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010 have been published today but will not take effect until the 28th July. BASC has launched today a specific resource page containing a fact sheet about the changes and a copy of the regulations – http://www.basc.org.uk/en/department...ation-2010.cfm

The following BASC website based documents are amended as of today to cater for the changes.

Young People and Shotgun Certificates
    Young People and Shotguns
    Young People and Firearms
    Borrowing Rifles
    Borrowing Shotguns (previously called “Non-certificate holders and shotguns”)

To see the fact sheets, use - http://www.basc.org.uk/en/department...act-sheets.cfm

The BASC Shotgun Code will be updated shortly afterwards.

Well it's good to see yet another triumph of lobbying as further restrictions on shooting are, once again, successfully thwarted.

TBH, I will certainly sleep a lot sounder knowing all them crazy kids can't buy or hire shotguns, or ammunition. Round our way you can't sleep at night what with delinquent kids blazing away til all hours!

Where is David BASC now?

Dont hear the sound of trumpets do you? I never even new about this and it does not effect me, but I would like to know how to obtain this information moveng forward.