Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowseat design

Lowseat design

Merry Christmas everyone.

I am toying with the idea of putting a few lowseats out on my patch and from memory the last time I knocked something up it was out of pallets and not livestock (cattle) proof.

Has anyone got any plans or ideas for a lowseat design that can be carried in an estate and bolt together that is livestock proof?

Thanks

If the cattle are used to being controlled by electric fences at all - put one around whatever you put out - they will not usually go near the wire unless they are exceptionally hungry and there is a tasty morsel they fancy. You could knock a few lumps of wood together and surround with fence to test if they respect the wire. We use scaffold poles for temporary penning if you need that much strength. I use ordinary cheap metal high seats on the farm, they could be low seats by adding less ladder sections, I do not have a problem with cattle damage just partially blind tractor driver damage. I use my canoe portage wheels to move the seats about when needed

How about an IBC container frame? You can even use the container as well. Very robust and easy to move. You can even mount the plastic on top of the frame to give you more height. Bit of minor engineering and some cammo and you're sorted.
    MS

I've found cattle like to use them as something to scratch and rub against which often turned the pallets to matchwood.

The farm is along traditional lines with stock fences/hedges throughout. Scaffolding is something I'd not thought about, is it cheap to get second hand? It wouldn't matter then if they used it as a football......

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post

That's awesome but sadly, I fear they will smash it to pieces in no time.

hi if you are looking to get a low seat try askari hunting I've bought 3 of them @ 11.99p each
    they strap around a tree with a ratchet strap (provided) and even have a removable padded cushion
    it only weighs about 1kg and fits easy in a small bag or roe bag. have a look on Askari huntings web site cheers ken

All I could think of to protect a low seat from cattle would be to use whatever design you like, then place 4 posts around it and put a section of electric fence around. Car battery under seat to power fence linked to solar charger. Other than that cattle do seem to smash everything.
    Wingy

These are the instructions I drew up for a neighbour to make a copy of my IBC doe box - the first attachment should be a pdf of instructions. If it wont open I'll try another route
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBC DEER HIDE.pdf 
Views:	30 
Size:	359.0 KB 
ID:	77512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	790.4 KB 
ID:	77513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014 (2).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	742.9 KB 
ID:	77514

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	559.8 KB 
ID:	77515The finished product- loads of room for one , a little cramped for two of me ( 6'2", 16 stone!)