Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time of year for deer

Best time of year for deer

What would people say would be the best time of year to go deer stalking I went a few weeks ago and didn't see anything and am thinking of booking another stalk for march

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhitt94 View Post
    What would people say would be the best time of year to go deer stalking I went a few weeks ago and didn't see anything and am thinking of booking another stalk for march
    A few more details would help in terms of offering advice - such as species, geographic area, etc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Well thats quite an open question really. The answer to that would really depend on your location, time of year and your species and sex your after. Then theres the weather, food, size of estate/farm and habitiat and various other factors. I'm very lucky where I am in that there is always a deer species in season and If I were to go out everyday I'd see deer 9/10 times. Personally I love a summer morning after harvest.

If your booking paid stalks ask how often the guide is seeing deer and what his ratio of outing to client shooting a deer is(or being put in a shootable position for a deer) before booking, along with ALL fees. Whilst know one can ever guarantee a successful stalk resulting in a client shooting a deer, a client doesn't want to pay for a walk in the woods. A good guide will make you aware of that.

As said too little information to give an informative answer, but the more you get out the more you see and the more you see the more you can shoot 👍🏻

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Give TDM on here a shout. He's got deer in Hants, Dorset and Devon and get get you on to 5 of the species without travelling too far.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Sorry it's a bit vague guys I'm new to stalking but this is in the new forest area and I would really love to get a nice roe buck they are my favourite species

Well you've got quite a wait until they're back in season I'm afraid. Most people say they tend to go a bit quiet and secretive after the rut. I've found April/May to be best for roe bucks myself.

For roe bucks April or May then then then vegetation gets to thick then end of July and august for the rut are the two best times

Cheers guys

Thats the game of stalking. I can go out several times and not get anything but then other times I can get a few in one day. I prefer to go for a few days to improve my chances especially if Im driving a few hundred miles.