Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rifles on FAC application

How many rifles on FAC application

I have currently put .30-06, .308, .243 and 22LR on my application because I am unsure what deer calibre suits me yet because have only shot with a .30-06 but would the feo grant all of them?

Really only ur FEo can answer that 1, have a quick word with him mibee?
    It will also depend on ur permissions too and size and type of deer etc

Really u have to show a need for each rifle, possibly the 30.06 and 308 could be described as quite close/similar calibres.

I take it u don't do much foxing? Many folk have a cf .22 for that and small deer species, but a 243 will also do the job too. If u do do a lot of foxing i'd mibee sacrifce 1 of ur .30 cal's for a .22 cf. But everyone has there own ideas

Just remeber every rifle set up will be 1K upwards even buying 2nd hand, so i try to keep as few rifles as i need.

Can't see you getting 2x .30cals unless you can show that you need each for a specific purpose that the other can't cover.

It's also your first FAC application, so you might only get the one centrefire. Ask for everything that you want, but be mindful that you might get knocked back to .22LR and one centrefire.

You can always come back with a variation for another c/fire
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako P94S .22lr
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Really only ur FEo can answer that 1, have a quick word with him mibee?
    It will also depend on ur permissions too and size and type of deer etc

Really u have to show a need for each rifle, possibly the 30.06 and 308 could be described as quite close/similar calibres.

I take it u don't do much foxing? Many folk have a cf .22 for that and small deer species, but a 243 will also do the job too. If u do do a lot of foxing i'd mibee sacrifce 1 of ur .30 cal's for a .22 cf. But everyone has there own ideas
    Just about sums up my immediate thoughts.

Hiya, I agree with all the above statements...my first FAC...was for a 22rf , a 22 Air FAC and a .222 CF...I'm now a good few years in, and have built up to a 22RF for Rabbits....222 dedicated NV rifle for foxes, a 243 for Roe, and a 270 for Reds and Sika....

Def have a word with yer FEO, he should be able to advise you what to put on your application form.

Good luck.

All depends on the county your in, I was commented by my FEO for having what they class as a shopping list having a slot for a 6.5, 30-30 and a .38. Despite have range, deer, vermin and humane dispatch on my ticket with 3 rifles currently on it and had my license for 20 years. Compared to someone earlier in the year I saw from London who I was selling my .22 to only had range on there ticket and had just got there license and had over 11 rifles on it for purchase! including 2 x 308 and 3 x .22, he said his FEO had recommended them all.

So it can all vary.

I wouldn't let your thoughts of what they might grant, limit what you apply for. It's an application form, fill the slots up. You can always stick a moderator or two in there to fill slots to save paying for them later. Worth having something there that's sacrificial. If they knock you back then you've something to play with.

SD Regular
    I have had 2x .270 WCF on my FAC certainly three times if not four. Some FEOs see the logic of commonality of calibres being fewer rounds possessed overall. So one holding of 300x .270 instead of, say, 300x .270 AND 300x .308.

Arguments of similar calibre can be reduced, in absurdity, to say that a 150 grain bullet has a muzzle velocity of 2,650 to 2,850 in anything from .270 WCF, through 7x57 to .308 and 8x57 with but .045" difference in bullet diameter. So they're all pretty bloody similar when it comes to it!

Also, if you take out guests, and YOU carry a back up rifle it again it covers breakage of firing pin, 'scope, etc on zero range or on the hill. Again if travelling from Leicester to Inverness for a once in ten year stalk it'd be daft not to. Same as keen game or clay shots will have, if not a pair, usually two almost identical shot guns in case one fails and is absent for repair.

To put it crudely even God equipped us "just in case" by gifting us two balls...side by side...identical one to the other. And God's Own cartridge...the .30-06 is no more than the 8x57 necked down to .30 calibre and lengthened. In reality ALL modern rimless centrefire rifle cartridges wuth a .473" base diameter derive from the 8x57 Mauser necked up, necked down, and/or left the same or case length adjusted shorter or longer. As they've all been sired by the same tup it's no surprise they're all so bloomin similar!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 23-12-2016 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by alwhitt94 View Post
    I have currently put .30-06, .308, .243 and 22LR on my application because I am unsure what deer calibre suits me yet because have only shot with a .30-06 but would the feo grant all of them?
    Remember it's your local licensing authority and not SD forum members who make the decision so apply for what you want. However I agree with what the other guys are saying, if this is a first application and that's what it sounds like to me I'd be surprised if they granted you both .30 calibre rifles.

If I were your FEO my first question would be, why do you need both of them? Remember it is very much down to you to state a good reason for every firearm you posses. If you're new to this I think you might struggle to be honest.

So.... If I play devils advocate for a minute (and bear in mind I'm trying to help) and don my FEO hat I'd ask you to state your reason for all four calibres individually. Also tell me what experience you have for the reasons you give...

I have to add if you're rifles are for stalking and not target shooting, I can't really see the point of having a .308 if you have a .30-06 personally. Debate rages all over the internet as to which calibre is better. But in all honesty both are great for hunting game. The .30-06 will take 220 grain bullets though so gives a little bit more flexibility. It's a very popular calibre in Africa if you ever fancy hunting plains game in Africa. Just bear in mind you may have issues using one in France as they class it as a military calibre. You can get round this but there's a bit of paperwork involved if you plan on hunting abroad etc.
    Last edited by MJ75; 23-12-2016 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post

To put it crudely even God equipped us "just in case" by gifting us two balls...side by side...identical one to the other.
    Not so for Hitler thank god