Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much set up cost ?

How much set up cost ?

Morning , thinking of starting to home load , how much would it roughly cost to start up from scratch .308', then move on to other calibres ?
    Many thanks
    Tom

Hi,

I about a few weeks ahead of you - bought most of my kit off here for 200+ and then added another 100 or so of manuals, tools and accessories. Assuming you have brass, the components are a good price - primers 5 for 100, Powder c.50 depending on what you need, Bullets vary a lot but I got two different Nosler types for about 60 all in - 2x50 bullets. I don't know if that's good value or not, but this is the start of my journey!

Others more experienced than me will advise, I'm sure. Best of luck.

Hi Tom

You can get everything you need (including bullets, powder, primers for 100 loads) for about 240. You'll need to add cases if you haven't saved your own.

This is with the Lee breech lock challenger kit and lee dies. Remember to get a reloading manual and .308 case length gauge for trimming your fired cases.

Cheers, Rory

CDSG had good prices for the Lee kit the last time I checked.

Depends who is asking. If it's the wife then "not much and it will pay for itself easily"!
    the reality is that it will be about 400 and you will produce bullets at about the cost of PPU ammo.

BE

Ha ha. I bet I've spent K's
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I hate to think and would not admit to it if the wife asked but if you were to put up a wanted on the site ? I think you could get started for 250- 300 all in ? Another BIG add stay away from lee as you will be buying it all again down the road

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    I hate to think and would not admit to it if the wife asked but if you were to put up a wanted on the site ? I think you could get started for 250- 300 all in ? Another BIG add stay away from lee as you will be buying it all again down the road
    Really! I have been using a Lee press for thirty years without any problems

It's an ever increasing price tag, only you can dictate where you stop. I'm seriously considering packing in the reloading, when I totted up the likely second hand price of all the kit I've managed to accumulate I figured I could buy several years worth of ammo and be done with it all...... never quite caught the bug with reloading but still seem to have spent a small fortune on all the gear, classic case of all the gear and no idea.
    The best thing I found when I started was the simplest system of them all. The lee loader, the sort you hit with a hammer, so simple and remarkably reliable and effective; -all equipment totalled well under 100 and I have never bettered the groups I first produced with that kit despite spending the subsequent fortunes on 'improving' my set up......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I was lucky enough to get my setup in exchange for a couple of outings stalking, that was thirty years ago only thing I have added was a set of full length sizing dies and a lube pad, the kit I got had only neck sizing dies and as I get all my brass(once fired) from clients and friends who who don't reload I needed full length dies.

For what I load primers under a fiver for a hundred(recently bought a 1000 for a tenner from an RFD who was closing down ) bullets 19 a hundred and powder 41 a tub ( a tub will load approx. 200)

So not at all expensive for me works out with free brass at around 44 a hundred that's allowing for primers at five pound a hundred and I don't think I have ever paid quite as much as that for them.