Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic tip for 3006

Ballistic tip for 3006

I currently shoot 150gn federal soft point through my 30.06 for red and sika, On our last trip on the sika they recommended we all use Ballistic tip bullets, I have some Winchester 165gn because that's all I could get hold of, does anybody have a recommendation ideally around 125gn if poss
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rutland View Post
    I currently shoot 150gn federal soft point through my 30.06 for red and sika, On our last trip on the sika they recommended we all use Ballistic tip bullets, I have some Winchester 165gn because that's all I could get hold of, does anybody have a recommendation ideally around 125gn if poss
    Thanks
    are you head shooting or did you have need to explode the carcass ?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I'd step up to 180gr and enjoy the venison. Or use the dreaded SST.

Thanks
    I have used Nosler ballistic tip125s in 30.06 and 308,very accurate and reliable.

Friend of mine shoots a lot of Sika here. Shoots 150gr BT's exclusively.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    are you head shooting or did you have need to explode the carcass ?
    The reason the asked us to shoot with ballistic tips is that sika are hard as nails and don't know when they are dead, the terrain is generally bad and without the aid of a dog you could quite easily lose them even if they only run a short distance. We are asked to shoot them straight through the shoulder blade to pin them as you would know if you've shot them

I've used 150 SST and nothing but, for Deer and Boar, I shoot to kill not to tickle. I can't understand all this twoddle about meat damage. How on earth do people expect to drop stuff.

The reason the asked us to shoot with ballistic tips is that sika are hard as nails and don't know when they are dead, the terrain is generally bad and without the aid of a dog you could quite easily lose them even if they only run a short distance. We are asked to shoot them straight through the shoulder blade to pin them as you would know if you've shot them
    softpoints work just fine for that
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

180gr partitions would work through the shoulder just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    180gr partitions would work through the shoulder just as well.
    +1
    Fully agree, strong bullet and breaking the shoulder bones.