Thread: G7 bc

G7 bc

Hi,

can anyone please advise on G7 BC for Hornady .224 53GR Vmax

Thanks Jimmy

As far as I know...a G7 is designed for much "higher calibre radius" secant ogive, low angle boat tail, VLD designs of bullet profile.
    the 53 are flat base aren't they?

Nother sure if it helps but I have 0.235 on g1 that works pretty well, at 3550 I have pretty decent dope to 400yds

out of intrest how did you figure 0.235 out as your g1?? or was it just trail and error
    sam

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    out of intrest how did you figure 0.235 out as your g1?? or was it just trail and error
    sam
    It was a matter of fudging figures to match drops, a mixture of minor adjustment to zero, velocity and finally BC.
    Last edited by jb1; 25-12-2016 at 17:44. Reason: FIngers

G7 only has a significant advantage over G1 for longer ranges, basically beyond around 500, 600 yards or so. As the 53gn 224 VMax is regarded as a 'short-range bullet' in this light, people like Bryan Litz doesn't usually test such designs. Somewhat to my surprise though, he did include the 52gn AMAX in Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets and gives it average BCs of 0.234 G1 and 0.120 for G7. It's so close a weight and shape to those of the VMax, I doubt if there's any difference between them.

The Litz 0.234 G1 value is well down on that of Hornady's 0.290 which doesn't surprise me as he'll have produced an average value over a fair distance and Hornady's is more likely a single value for one (high) velocity only.