Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My house was broken into ( dog advice please )

My house was broken into ( dog advice please )

A week past Thursday night at 4 am our house was broken into. They forced open the front door while we were in bed and by the time we came too they had taken both my watch and the wife's, and the keys to my daughters disabled adapted car , ( all caught on our cctv but they are wearing hoodies, gloves and shades ).

So after installing a new alarm system , my wife is adamant we need a house dog, a border terrier to be exact.

Do any of you guys have them ? Pros/cons etc.
    brian

Shitbags. Anyway, when my house was broken into some years ago the old copper, when I was asking him about security, said - "There's only one system bothering about son. Go for FBD."
    "Ok" says I, "I don't know that system. What is it?"
    "Effing big dog" says he "It's the only one that works!"
    So, maybe a wee bit bigger than a border. Unless it's a right barky one. But no use if it just barks all the time.

Great dogs. Every house should have one. Try and get one that has as little show strain in it as possible. They also make very good deer dogs.

We have two wouldn't be with out them.Best dogs we have had,they will adjust to any live style be it long walks or stay in all day. They will patrol their area and woe betide anything that shouldn't be there.But they are also gentle enough to play with the 2 year old grand children.A big dog in a small dogs body is the best way to describe them.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Shitbags. Anyway, when my house was broken into some years ago the old copper, when I was asking him about security, said - "There's only one system bothering about son. Go for FBD."
    "Ok" says I, "I don't know that system. What is it?"
    "Effing big dog" says he "It's the only one that works!"
    So, maybe a wee bit bigger than a border. Unless it's a right barky one. But no use if it just barks all the time.

The coppers said the exact same to us !!
    Last edited by Scots_stalker; 24-12-2016 at 20:48.

Get a jack russell they are good house dogs they soon let you know if any body is around

We have a lab, hwv and a gwp in the house , the hwv would welcome anyone in but the other 2 are very sharp and make their presence felt till visitors are declared as friends . Several houses in the area have been broken into recently but I feel very secure .

In 22 years of police work I wouldn't mind a quid for every time I attended a report of a burglary where the householders were sneering at their embarrassed dog who had ignored the whole break in. They never thought their dog would do such a thing. Get a dog because you want one, and fit an alarm system.
    Light a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    In 22 years of police work I wouldn't mind a quid for every time I attended a report of a burglary where the householders were sneering at their embarrassed dog who had ignored the whole break in. They never thought their dog would do such a thing. Get a dog because you want one, and fit an alarm system.
    Agreed. House pets and real guard dogs are very different things.

Last year both my next door neighbours were broken into in the same afternoon. Copper doing enquiries asked to check out back of my house to see if any signs of an attempt to force my doors. I saw the look on his face as he noticed muddy paw prints all up the glass of my French doors, to shoulder height. I just said I don't clean the doors if burglar wants to take his chance after seeing that then good luck. Right on que Weimaraner bounded down the garden barking her head off.
    He declined to go outside saying security seemed ok lol
    Wingy