Feckin dog!

Monkey Spanker

Well it's now Christmas day and the wife just informs me that one of our Terriers has just snaffled the piece of Genoa cake that our youngest left out for Santa! Trouble is it is full of raisins which I believe are not good for dogs? The glass of red wine is still there though. Any ideas or should we just see what happens? I think I'll just drink the wine to make sure he doesn't get that as well!:rolleyes:

Merry Christmas!
Oh, almost forgot, I've got to go and eat some carrots off the front doorstep as well so it looks like the Reindeer have been!:doh:
Ho Ho bloody Ho!
MS

Haven't you got dtc level 1 and 2 ?? Your not a real dog owner till you have I'm afraid ...... Still never fear I'll do both courses for a mere 800 quid seeing as it's Xmas :rofl:
where would we be without my ingenuous and very much needed courses :D

merry Christmas to you and yours too !
Atb Jim

Yep Santa has just visited our household and little Briar is still asleep.. Not sure if the hamster he has left behind will survive till morning as the dogs and cat are already aware there is an intruder in the house. Oh well if little Briar is not too keen on the new pet am certain the dogs will have to wait in line behind puss for a play!

Thought it was chocolate you weren't supposed to feed to dogs, never heard of raisins

Last edited:
It's a terrier. There is little on this earth that will kill the little ba$tard.
Fed my old terrier anything many years ago, including grapes which he loved to nibble on.

Grapes and raisins (and chocolate) are bad for your dog! Grapes and raisins will, if you continue to feed them to your pooch cause the kidneys to fail and a pile all at once will do the same. A small sized piece of cake containing raisins in all likelihood will not be enough to cause any real damage, but if the dog starts vomiting or has diarrhoea in the next few days, it's off to the vets pronto! A fatal dose is estimated at half an ounce of raisins for every pound of dog. Only you or the wife knows how many it may have eaten. If you aren't sure, then perhaps the vets is a good call.

Our previous terrier ate raisins and grapes and the odd bit of chocolate. She had quite an evolved palette, she loved olives and garlic! Keep an eye on yours, but I imagine it will be fine.

Merry Christmas!

My Lab stole some Brussel Sprouts last year - at least it got rid of the feckers!- they after effect are similar to humans unfortunately!

Last edited:
There is a member on here who now lives in Inverness, he had a black lab that once pulled the portable TV off the worktop in the kitchen, stole a birthday cake from the same place and scoffed the lot and his best trick, ate a complete hard plastic dog bed, it's own hard plastic dog bed.

I wonder if the said member will stick his head above the parapet and identify himself, I will remain tightlipped to give him chance to fess up!

Oh, I almost forgot, the father of the honoured member was in the kitchen getting a wash, he'd taken his teeth out and put them on the worktop while he did so, after drying his face and putting his glasses on, he then struggled to find his teeth, he asked the member, "hey lad, have you got my teeth" (or something like that), the member replied in the negative. The father then looked down to see a very sheepish black lab, the father then reached down, grabbed the dog by the collar, prized open the dogs gob, reached in to the dogs maw, retrieved his dinner manglers, rubbed them on his vest and slammed them back into his own gob. Not washed in the sink unto running water or cleaned in any way, just pushed them into the between nose and chin void.

What a man.:D

Previous GSP managed to open the fridge and eat a block of butter once. He could also eat a banana out of the skin and leave the skin looking like a human had peeled it. Regularly helped himself to grapes. Never had any ill effects other thank the sh*ts.

Have a raspberry bush in the garden. My Border terrier eats all the berries she can reach, standing on hind legs as well,
Doesn't just snaffle them, pulls the fruit off very carefully. Not seen any ill effects.

My lab, now seventeen months old, will eat loaves, bunches of bananas, opens jars of Nutella and jam (wolfing the contents), and can open the food waste bin outside and demolish the contents. Has stopped eating her own s**te though.

The effects of raisin ingestion are idiosyncratic, i.e. will effect some and not others its very unpredictable and often requires very small amounts. Ideally, you would err on the side of caution and say IV Fluids, inducing vomiting etc etc. However, I appreciate significant time has passed since this so if nothing untoward has been noted to this point, you could keep a close eye and if you see any signs of the dog not peeing, or peeing lots, changes in urine (blood etc) or any vomiting, diarrhoea, neurological signs etc then it would be worth a discussion with your local veterinary surgeon. It should be noted that vomiting and diarrhoea are usually noted between 6 and 12hrs, renal effects between 24 and 72 hours after ingestion, so you are not out of the woods yet. You may wish to discuss this with your vet over the phone.

Last edited:
Well my Border is a career theif and notched up a choclate bar on an undecover raid of my daughters bedroom today. We have also established he likes dates today! He seems fine if not now looking a bit fater. Needs some exercise to work it off.

Well, he slept all night, had a good run earlier and then polished off a large bowl of Christmas dinner leftovers!
Hopefully he is fine. Thanks for all the info and advice.
MS:thumb:
Merry Christmas from Bertie!
Don't bother waiting for the Easter eggs!
View attachment 77532:lol:

Last edited:
Back