Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction from NZ

Introduction from NZ

Greetings. And happy Xmas.

Found this forum whilst googling solutions to a problem with one of my rifles.

Experienced hunter of 30+ years now living in NZ, originally from UK, ended up here via Africa, Australia, N America.

Deer, pigs and a lot of varmint control on the farm takes up most of my spare time.

Rifles at present:

.308 Tikka T3 stainless laminated, Zeiss 3-12x50 glass, no mods, my main meat provider. Shoots hand loads of Lapua brass, AR2206H, Sierra 2125 pills of 150 gr.

.243 Howa 1500, 20" barrel, Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x44 glass, DPT suppressed, lightweight stock, my new high country mountain rifle. Currently in load development.

.223 Tikka T3 Super Varmint, 1 in 12" twist, Vortex Viper 6-24x50 glass, DPT suppressed, my main varmint rifle, the one I use almost every day. Shoots hand loaded 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings with Benchmark 1 powder, ADI brass, with unbelievable accuracy and kills all varmints up to goat size very dead out to 300m. Wife has shot inch groups at 300m on windless days with this rifle.

.22 LR Ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic, shooting CCI Stingers, bunny and hare gun thats hardly missed in 20 years. Only mod was to remove barrel band and add a bolt through the stock and rear of the action in place of the rear pin. Very accurate out to 80m. Now shared by my boys who have taken over rabbit control duties.

.22 LR Remington 597 full barrel suppressed with additional DPT modular suppressor. Superb little gun, the main night time possum and rabbit gun, shoots CCI subs and Stingers and now that we've fixed the magazine issues never lets us down. With Stingers its more accurate than the 10/22.

Hunting as a family keeps us fit, interested and always learning. Wife is ex-Army riflewoman who is a better longrange shot than me. Cleaned out the safe about 12 months ago when we moved back to NZ, only brought the two Tikkas home with us. The .22s we had left here several years ago.

Planned the current collection around experience of NZ conditions, to cover bullet weights from 40 gr to 180 gr with the ability to vary pill weight in the field according to terrain, wind and target species. Only one rifle to go, and next purchase, a heavy contour, long barrelled magnum of some variety to stretch effective killing range in the mountains.

Look forward to meeting some of you. Not much of a causal poster on forums, but an avid reader of experienced folk who are kind enough to share their knowledge, especially in ballistics and reloading.
    Last edited by dodgyknees; 25-12-2016 at 03:50.

Welcome and Happy Christmas! "avid reader of experienced folk who are kind enough to share their knowledge, especially in ballistics and reloading."

Plenty of that on here, even if some are bit prone to going down rabbit holes from time to time. A more helpful bunch you couldn't wish to meet.

A very warm welcome from Scotland. Sounds like you have a fair bit of experience to share.

Welcome also, I watch theses lads from NZ on youtube.

They do get stuck in with their 300 wsm

Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Cracking introduction - welcome and hope you enjoy your time on SD. Look forward to reading your experiences.

Season Greetings.

Chur Bro
    Welcome to the sd looking forward to hearing from you, as above I love the kiwi vids on YouTube clay tall stories is my favourite, says it as it is and doesn't beat around the bush.
    I had some good times hunting with the guys off the site I was working on up Russell in 2009. Lovely country lovely warm folks.
    Kind regards
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I've been fortunate to visit your country several times for some great hunting. Welcome.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome on board!
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"