Paypal

swarovski

I am not familiar with using it much.yesterday I sold something.the funds are in my account but it's on hold.why is this done and when will the on hold be lifted.cheers swaro

H Paypal are very annoying when they do this. It is done at random, their excuse is anti fraud and we even get it on our account for online sales that has several thousand a month going through. Funds usually clear in 3 to 5 working days

Happy Christmas

Geoff

Just don't post until funds clear, until that happens there is no guarantee you have actually been paid.
Funds are held for several reasons, one of which is the buyer has funded PayPal with a new source that cannot be confirmed.

Neil. :)

I had this while selling something on ebay and emailed them .it was cleared soon after

just done this with mine even tho i phoned them and she said it was sorted the person on other end was paid according to my records in nov but bank stopped it because they didnt recognise the purchase,i phoned bank and other party but i still cant pay because its froze by paypal.its only 9.00quid but thats not the point when all partys think its sorted,they only told me this week.

Never pay for an item by "PayPal as a gift" either, even if the seller insists on this as you have no comeback if the item fails to turn up or is faulty, misdescribed etc etc... you can always offer to pay the buyers PayPal fee's if you think you are getting a good deal. I got caught by this when buying a supposedly "as new" rivers west jacket on Freeads a few months ago.

The jacket on arrival had an obviously faulty full length underarm zip and one of the magnets missing from the pocket closing flap, the seller one RICKY DOWNING also known as "RICKY DAYSTATE" (from Atherstone I believe) on some of the forums, went silent when I asked for a refund and predictable thereafter ceased all communication, PayPal when contacted pointed out that as I sent money via the gift option that there was no form of protection.

Luckily and very generously, Rivers west sent me a brand new jacket from the states as a replacement when I enquired about getting a replacement zip fitted.

Warning - if you ever buy off the above seller, insist on paying via PayPal but NOT with PayPal as a gift.... with bank transfer etc you obviously get no protection at all either.... I have never had a problem with PayPal but paying using the gift option was down to me being too trustworthy.

Last edited:
Still waiting for a refund of 145 quid to be released by these sharks, lesson learned in future I'll just use my credit card!

i joined paypal a fare bit ago and then stopped, been very problematic so i'll not go back.

bank transfer is the way i do it, with a printout of the date time and amount paid,

bob.

As soon as mines sorted its being binned,tried four times since last week to pay ,keeps telling me its in dispute?there is no dispute bloody idiots.

PayPal can be convenient to pay for small items but it is very much buyer beware. Never pay from a Bank account, only use a credit card. PayPal T&Cs are penal and there is little recourse to them. I advise against using them for receiving money, they will charge a lot and hold onto your money. This has nothing to do with fraud rather PayPal can use the money either as liquidity or to make a return while they hold your money.

Payment systems such as Barclays pingit and Apple pay are much better

I've no reason to mistrust the buyer but now I've been warned my scope will stay with me until 400 odd quid is cleared then :tiphat:.thanks

Pay-Pal is very convenient, and can offer good protection to both buyer and seller when needed.
However there is also a downside, as a seller you have no idea how the buyer is funding their pay-pal account, and
that can be very important.
Last November I had an email from pay-pal saying a buyer had asked for a chargeback against me as the goods had not
been bought by them.
The upshot was someone had hacked into a young ladies eBay and pay-pal accounts, bought three fishing reels from me as a buy it now.
So there's me £1750.00 (plus postage) better off, items were posted via city link, signed for delivery and fully insured, two days after
posting items were delivered and signed for, I left feedback for the buyer, but did notice at the time that the buyer didn't leave me any in return.
Now jump forward 3 years and I'm notified of the possibility of a chargeback, I have to say I didn't worry overmuch as I knew I had done it all
properly with a signed for delivery as is required by both pay-pal and eBay.
The story it the young lady who had bought the items was actually out of the country traveling at the time of the purchase and had only just returned.
This was investigated by the police and they were in no doubt that she was telling the truth.
A week later the bomb shell, charge back approved and all of a sudden I have lost £1750.00 because I couldn't show proof the items were actually signed for, as city link, no longer in business had no system in place to save all the signatures of people receiving items, and the credit card company who funded the original purchase insisted they wanted their money back, so I as the seller lost out, and ended up not only paying the money back (leaving me overdrawn) also lost the goods.
So very much a case of buyer and seller be aware of what the worst case really could be.

This is the first time I have been properly had over, in the past I have posted stuff before payment and trusted I would be paid, buyers on here have been great never a let down, not quiet so good on other forums, although I have got paid in the end.
As for the future, not sure, but buying stuff I would still rather have the protection that pay-pal can offer, bank transfers are easy fast and free, but no protection for the the buyer at all, fine if you know and or trust the seller.

Last edited:
I find PayPal convenient and it does it's job in that it protects the details of your accounts. But as I generally only use it with eBay, it is subject to the same self-imposed condition in that I will only use it for relatively small amounts that should I lose, it's no drama. Of course it suffers from large corporation syndrome in that it's nearly impossible to contact them and have a meaningful conversation about anything with someone who could actually do something. But they aren't alone there.

I've only used paypal for small amounts them too was buying on ebay.just checked and funds are still on hold.

........The upshot was someone had hacked into a young ladies eBay and pay-pal accounts, bought three fishing reels from me as a buy it now.
The story it the young lady who had bought the items was actually out of the country traveling at the time of the purchase and had only just returned.
This was investigated by the police and they were in no doubt that she was telling the truth.
A week later the bomb shell, charge back approved and all of a sudden I have lost £1750.00 because I couldn't show proof the items were actually signed for, as city link, no longer in business had no system in place to save all the signatures of people receiving items, and the credit card company who funded the original purchase insisted they wanted their money back, so I as the seller lost out, and ended up not only paying the money back (leaving me overdrawn) also lost the goods.
So very much a case of buyer and seller be aware of what the worst case really could be.

Ouch. Feel sorry for you on that.
As a consumer it's made me rethink how I fund my PayPal account

Signed up for PayPal, in the USA (used it once) and tried to transfer it to UK, when I moved here, and was told I had to register in UK. I did so and am unable to use my account as the account goes back to the USA and can't be used here.

Debit Card all the way, now.

Back