Thread: Pheasant shooting Ireland

Pheasant shooting Ireland

The following is a compilation video of our first few weeks out on our Pheasant syndicate during November in Northern Ireland.

Not a lot of shooting action, mainly dog work, as we try to shoot a couple of birds each day per person.

The dog is my cocker spaniel Dinky, he is a half decent rough shooting dog although I don't always allow him to retrieve as he can be hard in the mouth.

I hope you enjoy the scenery, if nothing else, and Happy Christmas to you all:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Looks like you had better weather this year. Looks like lots of fun. Did you run into any woodcock?

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Thanks - beautiful country, really enjoyed looking at this.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    That hill country with gorse/furze and fern makes a change from the 'salted' fields for the gentry.

Rough ground,steep hills and men and dog had to work,bluudy good show old chap!

I saw my first ever wild pheasants in Ireland in some very rough Sika ground and thought at the time how different it was to the photos of shooters one see`s with their released birds taken in open paddocks.
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Looks like you had better weather this year. Looks like lots of fun. Did you run into any woodcock?
    Touch wood it hasn't rained once on his this year whereas last year it rained nearly every day.

We've shot a few woodcock on different outings, 10 was the best day but not on this ground.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    That hill country with gorse/furze and fern makes a change from the 'salted' fields for the gentry.

Rough ground,steep hills and men and dog had to work,bluudy good show old chap!

I saw my first ever wild pheasants in Ireland in some very rough Sika ground and thought at the time how different it was to the photos of shooters one see`s with their released birds taken in open paddocks.
    Thanks very much. Yes it makes a change from driven shooting, you certainly have to work for the birds here & you need to be fit.

These are released birds aswell but they leave the pens about 2 months before any shooting so they soon get wild.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    I know people here that shoot birds that are released an hour before they arrive and in nothing like your challenging shooting ground.
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

Beautiful location for a walk up - lucky you!