Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-08 Re Barrel

7-08 Re Barrel

At the moment I have 2 7-08's, a light weight stalker one I use most of the time and the other a heavy culling rifle I hardly use, I've the opportunity to stalk big lowland reds and do driven boar next year. I know I could use the 7-08, but wonder if this would give me the justification to myself to spend the money and get the culling rifle rebarreled into something bigger, just not sure what caliber to go for, suggestions please, ideally to keep the existing short action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono 4 View Post
    At the moment I have 2 7-08's, a light weight stalker one I use most of the time and the other a heavy culling rifle I hardly use, I've the opportunity to stalk big lowland reds and do driven boar next year. I know I could use the 7-08, but wonder if this would give me the justification to myself to spend the money and get the culling rifle rebarreled into something bigger, just not sure what caliber to go for, suggestions please, ideally to keep the existing short action.
    Difficult to do on a .473 bolt face and gat any material advantage over what you have. I would be tempted to change the bolt face to a .532, keep the barrel and rechamber to 7mmWSM. A 7mm Nosler 175 Partition is more than enough for Boar.
    So much to learn and so little time left

308 is the obvious one but what about a 338 Federal? (338-08 wildcat)
    Shooting a 210grn would be a great short action boar gun.

SD Regular
    With wanting to keep the short action, and to avoid feed ramp issues, the only logical choice is .308 Winchester. The .338 Federal is too much of a niche cartridge, good as it is, to be suitable as there's nothing in a light bullet AFAIK to satisfy Scots velocity requirements comfortably with the bullet weights available. Although not having access to Cartridges of the World I may be wrong. Oddly, though .358 Winchester with a 158 grain bullet might. But will have down range trajectory of a half brick. But again without my COTW I might be talking nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    With wanting to keep the short action, and to avoid feed ramp issues, the only logical choice is .308 Winchester. The .338 Federal is too much of a niche cartridge, good as it is, to be suitable as there's nothing in a light bullet AFAIK to satisfy Scots velocity requirements comfortably with the bullet weights available. Although not having access to Cartridges of the World I may be wrong. Oddly, though .358 Winchester with a 158 grain bullet might. But will have down range trajectory of a half brick. But again without my COTW I might be talking nonsense.
    Thank you the reds would be in Norfolk/Suffolk, not knowing a lot about rifle actions etc, I had wondered about 300 wsm?

284 Win would give a bit more grunt. However, I don't think you can improve on the 7-08 by much. No point going .308 when you already have 7-08.
    Last edited by takbok; 26-12-2016 at 12:38.

SD Regular
    I'm old school and prefer the practical advantage of an extra cartridge in the magazine over the theorectical advantage of higher velocity if its cost is one less cartridge capacity in the magazine. Load once, shoot five or six times on a wet cold day beats load one and shoot three or four times. It's only one cartridge but it's still an increase in ready rounds if needed. And off the shelf .308 Winchester ammo is likely more available in some parts than 7mm-08 which is it's main advantage over 7mm-08 save if you want cheap FMJ bullets for practice.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 26-12-2016 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    284 Win would give a bit more grunt. However, I don't think you can improve on the 7-08 by much. No point going .308 when you already have 7-08.
    Got both. Very happy. Light 7-08 stalking rifle. Heavy .308 " long range" stalking and a T/C icon.

Quote Originally Posted by iain b View Post
    Got both. Very happy. Light 7-08 stalking rifle. Heavy .308 " long range" stalking and a T/C icon.
    I was being logical. Absolutely nothing wrong with having many rifles if you're so inclined ��

I'd forget about another rifle and spend the dosh on a really good short range scope suitable for woodland stalking and driven pigs.

A Swaro Z6i 1-6x24 or the like. Fit this to the stalking rifle you are most familiar with.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 26-12-2016 at 13:59.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......