Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using (and hopefully not abusing) the "transfer" of a shotgun.

Using (and hopefully not abusing) the "transfer" of a shotgun.

Question please -

SWMBO and I are visiting our Daughter and Son in Law today (who live about 50 miles away) and SIL is having a problem with his shotgun that I would like to get checked out by a gunsmith local to me.

Can I get the shotgun transferred by SIL on to my SGC, take said gun to the gunsmith (who will maybe have it for a couple of weeks so will do the necessary documentation), then later I collect the gun and transfer it back from my SGC to SIL's SGC.

Logically it seems ok but in the middle of this I'm due a renewal visit and don't want to upset anyone.

Normally I'd phone the FLO but today (Boxing day) they're understandably shut and I don't want to fall foul of the law.

Anyone know if what I'm suggesting is ok please?

Thanks in advance
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

As long as you both notify the transfers correctly to the relevant licensing depts then you are following process and all should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    As long as you both notify the transfers correctly to the relevant licensing depts then you are following process and all should be fine.
    Thanks for the reply.

That is what I was assuming would be ok
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

don't know if this is still relevant
    The rules that govern lending between certificate holders vary according to whether the gun in question is a section 1 firearm or a “shotgun”. Any transfer of a section 1 firearm (or ammunition) must be to a registered firearms dealer or directly to a person authorised by a firearm certificate (or visitor’s permit) to take possession, and both parties must notify the police within seven days. A “shotgun” may be lent by one certificate holder to another for a period up to 72 hours without notice, but, if longer, both parties must notify the police. A notice must identify the firearm in question, state the nature of the transaction, give the name and address of the other party and should be sent by registered post, recorded delivery or by email. A list of email addresses for these purposes is available on the BASC website.

as above ,what jack said.the hard part is you handing it to rfd because it has to be on your ticket to hand over and when its fixed handed back.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 26-12-2016 at 12:23.
    DONT START

Given the ball ache with all the paper work either way amd causing a bit of unecessary work for the police; surely it's easier for you SiL to travel the approx 50 miles to the gunsmith himself?

Why?
    no reason why the SIL can't add the shotgun on to your sgc
    no reason why he has to relinquish it from his.
    i share firearms and shotguns with a number of people

ping the local police service the note fixation that the shotgun is being given to you but SIL still requires it on his SGC

RFD sees gun listed on you sgc when handing over and collecting to satisfy his books
    police have their appear trail, you both have the authority to hold that shotgun

seems fairly straightforward

It you only want to take it to RFD you can legally have it in your possession for 72 hours without any paperwork, you can also do this when you collect it .

If you are going to have it in your possession formkore than 72 hours you will need to put it on your certificate which should be no great problem .

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    It you only want to take it to RFD you can legally have it in your possession for 72 hours without any paperwork, you can also do this when you collect it .

If you are going to have it in your possession formkore than 72 hours you will need to put it on your certificate which should be no great problem .
    ..agreed, but how do I pass it on to the RFD if it ain't on my ticket (was my thought)?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I don't know about in Bedfordshire, but here in TVP you can notify the police of shotgun transfers via email.

So get SIL to transfer you and email his local constabulary. Having added to your SGC, you email your local constabulary. Take to RFD, then collect when fixed. Return to SIL, annotate your SGC and email your local constabulary. SIL does the same.

So long as you and SIL email your local constabulary within 7 days of the transfer, it sounds pretty foolproof.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 26-12-2016 at 16:47.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!