Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun vented rib dent fix tool

Shotgun vented rib dent fix tool

Being the clumsy oaf I am I fell over carrying my ou and dinged the vented rib. I have seen that the fix is quite easy but requires a tool. Only thing I can find so far is one at Brownells and it's 70 😳 Does anyone know of s cheaper alternative?

Flat thin bar, steady hand and a careful eye!
    its fairly soft material, easily pulled up with a turnscrew type blade

SD Regular
    Pay a gunsmith and weep once. Do It Yourself and if you get in wrong you've possibly lifted the rib or dented the barrel. View it as a "fine" for the mishap!

Yah I won't be doing it Heath Robinson style unless I can get a proper tool and or a smith to do it for a reasonable sum. Tempted to buy the tool in the USA and et it posted as I am sure will come in handy.

SD Regular
    The problem with trying to lever it back, or use a swedge, is if the braze or solder is weaker than the force applied to lift the dented "bridge". If it is you lift the rib off instead of lifting the dented bit in the "bridge". The special tools are like miniature hub pullers so they apply force only too the rail using the rail either side if its dent as the place from which the tool is fixed.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-12-2016 at 20:21.

A gunsmith charged me 45 to do my rib after it had a slight collision with a set of harrows.

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    A gunsmith charged me 45 to do my rib after it had a slight collision with a set of harrows.
    Thats scandalous!!! It's a five minute job unless it's really badly dinged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Only thing I can find so far is one at Brownells and it's 70  Does anyone know of s cheaper alternative?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thats scandalous!!! It's a five minute job unless it's really badly dinged in.
    Depends on how much your gun is worth in the first place whether its scandalous or not to have it brought back to mint condition.

if it makes you feel any better a fellow shooter slipped in the farm yard (Muck boots do not like concrete) on Boxing day with a very expensive Italian s/s in a slip it now has a 3 piece stock OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    Depends on how much your gun is worth in the first place whether its scandalous or not to have it brought back to mint condition.
    well for just the rib seems excessive TBH. I mean the tool is cheap enough.