Buying up Scotland...and Romania

Op_JB

What does the forum think about Polvson and his company Wildlands LTD who are currently buying up as much of Scotland and they can get their hands on, and doing deals for the bits that they can't?
All the deer are being shot in order to promote more natural regeneration of woodland. I'm very much in favour.

Sounds and looks like a good thing ,thinking in the long term planet wise,but it smacks alot to me like one persons goal in playing god.and having as big a piece of the planet he can afford,imho.

Call me an old cynic but I worry that one very rich mans dream can often be a lot of poorer peoples nightmare . And to make it much worse in the list of partners are the dreaded letters EU , that in it's self would put me well and truly on the back foot , I can see a lot of people involved in shooting sports being short changed as in the case with The National Trust , on the face of it they say they support shooting/stalking but the evidence shows a different agenda . If in years to come these vast tracks of land returned to the wild , quite how wild we are only guessing at , should end up with the usual bunch of tree huggers wave goodbye to stalking as we know it ..

If your summary is correct it sounds like a cluster **** waiting to happen.
the country doesn't look like the way it does now due to deer

All the Deer shot so how does that make anyone happy .An extinction type situation what a crazy idea ,rich man plays god and then wonders what went wrong
.Recipe and disaster anyone .No Deer ,no stalking ,no income from sporting hobbies sounds like a plan to empty the country of people who live off stalking and shooting sports.Any alternatives offered?? or do people just lose their jobs and leave their homes and way of life behind:cuckoo:

All the Deer shot so how does that make anyone happy .An extinction type situation what a crazy idea ,rich man plays god and then wonders what went wrong
.Recipe and disaster anyone .No Deer ,no stalking ,no income from sporting hobbies sounds like a plan to empty the country of people who live off stalking and shooting sports.Any alternatives offered?? or do people just lose their jobs and leave their homes and way of life behind:cuckoo:

Nail on head - as more land becomes worthless and people move away they continue to buy it up at even lower prices. No deer no stalkers so no need for anyone to possess firearms.
Call me cynical but think this is another way of taking over our way of life and sport and interest
Wingy

I'm absolutely fed up with posts about what a good thing it is to exterminate all the deer. THE Highlands are what they are largely because of deer forests and deer stalking. Everybody and their dog tries to be an expert on highlands/deer/forestry and most live hundreds of miles away and I'm sorry but don't fully understand it all.

Megalomania masquerading as benevolence, with no regard to tradition, local sensitivities or longer term sustainability of fragile local communities. #clearances renewed; try buying up Denmark, and see how far ye'll get!

He can do what he likes on his own land.

Ah, but no he can't.

The Scottish Numptie Party will see to that. We are currently seeing the introduction of a Registry of all land, the Community Empowerment Act (that will give Communities a say on how land is managed (and the aforementioned registry will tell them own owns what). We have Community Right to buy, the Scottish Countryside Access Code (right to roam), the Land Reform Act (Which introduces a land Rights and Responsibilities statement and gives SNH greater powers to enforce deer management), and the reintroduction of Sporting Rates

Back