Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dicksons of Edinburgh

Dicksons of Edinburgh

End of an era. Dicksons is closing its doors at the end of next month. Been around for nearly 200 years and I think I am right in saying it is the last gun room in Edinburgh. A real shame. Wish Gary and the team there all the best for the future.

SD Regular
    I am not at all surprised. I went last year shadow of when I last went thirty years ago. In fact distinctly underwhelmed. Much better was the excellent Borders Gunroom. Dickson's was a waste of the train fare on the re-opened line into Edinburgh and a waste of the walk up the hill from the Station.

Last time i went into Dicksons, about 10 years ago, it was clear i wasn't welcome! i must be the wrong clientele? so not surprised its closing down.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I am not at all surprised. I went last year shadow of when I last went thirty years ago. In fact distinctly underwhelmed. Much better was the excellent Borders Gunroom. Dickson's was a waste of the train fare on the re-opened line into Edinburgh and a waste of the walk up the hill from the Station.
    You must go to some crap places if you think that the borders gun room is excellent. Had my worst dealings ever there. Won't say I'll never be back there but it will be a cold day in hell before I do

Thats a shame. My best loved item ever is my 1889 Round Action or more correctly trigger plate action John Dickson gun. RIP part of scottish history and unique gun making history.

Blackpowder

Dicksons are only closing their Edinburgh store, Dunkeld and the company will remain open for business. Edinburgh City Council are charging ridiculous business rates in the city centre - several thousand pounds a month for even the small space Dicksons occupy - you need to be turning a lot of stock to cover this. Another friends retail business recently called in the administrators for pretty much the same reason as the have the same pressure in other cities as well as Edinburgh. City and Town councils are killing city centre retail - that's why we no longer have useful shops - only have big brands - in our towns.

It's a shame that the shop is closing as it always used to be one of the first places I would head for when in town, it used to be quite a place when it still catered for the fishing side as well as the gun side of things, but as Heym SR20 has pointed out - external pressures and changes in shopping habits have pushed many more businesses away from the main shopping areas. We can all think of shops that have gone the same way over time, McCrirricks of Kilmarnock and Bagnall and Kirkwood in Newcastle to name, but two........ Still there is still the Orvis shop I can steer the boss to when she is on a hand bag and shoes hunt!

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Dicksons are only closing their Edinburgh store, Dunkeld and the company will remain open for business. Edinburgh City Council are charging ridiculous business rates in the city centre - several thousand pounds a month for even the small space Dicksons occupy - you need to be turning a lot of stock to cover this. Another friends retail business recently called in the administrators for pretty much the same reason as the have the same pressure in other cities as well as Edinburgh. City and Town councils are killing city centre retail - that's why we no longer have useful shops - only have big brands - in our towns.
    Jeez, it sounds like American Democrats have taken over the Edinburgh city council.

I think the main issue was rent not rates - talking to the guys in Dickson's, the couple thousand per month was the lease.