Thread: ian11 from Derbyshire

ian11 from Derbyshire

Hi to everyone,

I am a 50 year old and now that the kids have flown the nest I am excited to get into a sport that has always interested me but never had the time to spare.

I am quite new to this fantastic sport, I have recently completed my DSC1 and keen to learn from some of the very experienced members on this forum. I hope to go on my first stalk on the 21st of January at the Chippenham estate that is managed by Jim Riley, I hope this will be the first of many enjoyable stalking trips. I am looking forward to getting to know some of the guys on this forum and places and opportunities and always looking to get good advice on the various topics.

Many thanks,

Ian, I'm a similar age and live in Derbyshire too. I'd love to swap some tips with you. But firstly, I'd like to know how you managed to get rid of your kids ....

Hi Chris,

It took a long time and a big hole in the wallet but finally my 2 boys are flying solo! They are 23 and 21 so you might say about time!

Anyway, I live just outside of Derby on the way to Ashbourne and have done for many years. I think this is a great location to get anywhere in the country as we are central. So do you know if there are any local places that you can find stalking opportunities? Have not found much so far....

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Ha ha, asking on here if anyone has any stalking is like asking for tonight's winning Lotto numbers. Stalking in Derbyshire. Hmm, I have a couple of leads actually but things take so long to develop. Deer are on the increase in Derbyshire (I'm south of Chesterfield) but it's not really a shooting county if you follow me. There are some quite large numbers of red up on the Peaks around Owlerbar / Hathersage. I think that there's a fair number of watchers around but not so much on the shooting. There should be some decent foxing around but I can't seem to lock into any. I can't even find a flat field with a bank to zero on.

Derbyshire folk, eh.

I guess your local shop would be Martyn at The Countryman then, or Melbourne or the shop in Ashbourne. Only been once.