Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BDS. Thinking of rejoining.

BDS. Thinking of rejoining.

Hello Guys.
    After 15 years absence I am thinking of rejoining the BDS.
    I read somewhere that a private range is made available to members, can't remember
    whether it was BDS I was reading about.
    Can anyone enlighten me please?
    Also we used to use expanding ammo on MOD ranges as we were stalkers. Is this exemption still in use?
    I am in a quandry as to whether I should rejoin or not.
    If any East Anglia members would like to give views good or bad I would be very interested.

Regards Bryan.

Bryan

It was indeed the East Anglia Branch of the BDS to which you refer! They have access to a range on private ground, which is therefore not subject to the need for a Certificate of Competence etc. No problem with expanding ammunition. There's a bit about it on the Branch page of the BDS web site, or you can pm me for more information.

I'd definitely recommend you re-join!

Andrew

It depends what you are looking for! The BDS has let me down on a few occasions and it is mainly due to their pompous behavior, thinking that they are superior to everyone else. I have many friends in the BDS, it all depends on what you are looking for in an organisation.

Hello Chaps.
    Thanks for responding.
    Jingzy I agree with you some of them seemed snooty and dinner evenings were always designed to cater for the "Lords and Ladies" rather than the factory workers and tractor drivers.
    The talks and butchery demo were good though and the magazine good where not too scientific.
    Subscription is good value and BDS seems to do some good work. I probably will rejoin and go to events more the wiser now.
    Andrew. I will PM you as you kindly offered to furnish me with some information.

ATB-Bryan.

They're a waste of money in my opinion. They don't represent my views at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    They're a waste of money in my opinion. They don't represent my views at all.
    You do get a nice car sticker and a colourfull magazine though !!!

They are a waist of space your just paying for the chosen few who are in no way charity cases.

The BDS are a registered charity, and therefore fall under charitable law and if they break that law the Charity Commission have the right to take over the running of the charity, although that would be a last resort.

Therefore as a charity they are not a profit making business, and there are strict guidleines to adhere to. I would not make assumptions that members of the charity are making money from it on an open forum. Its unwise in my opinion Mr Quarrel.

ATB

Sikamalc

While you are correct the BDS are a registerd charity they are not what i would call a real charity they make lots of money and alot of this gose to pay the top Commity and keeps them in the stile they are acustom to. You only need to look at there Balance sheet. For me a if you want to support an organistation that will back you up as a deer stalker then you need one that has your best interests at heart / then deer welfare not deer welfare only.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    While you are correct the BDS are a registerd charity they are not what i would call a real charity they make lots of money and alot of this gose to pay the top Commity and keeps them in the stile they are acustom to. You only need to look at there Balance sheet. For me a if you want to support an organistation that will back you up as a deer stalker then you need one that has your best interests at heart / then deer welfare not deer welfare only.
    That's not what the Annual Review would seem to suggest: http://www.bds.org.uk/c2/uploads/bds_review_08.pdf

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!