Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Species you wouldn't hunt

Species you wouldn't hunt

Please try and keep this one on topic and don't be critical of those who choose animals you wouldn't...

But what species of animals would you not hunt and why? Personally I could not hunt big cats. Most are only just about managing to maintain viable populations and I'd feel guilty bagging an asiatic lion or cougar. I just simply couldn't do it. The fact that they're great looking magnificent animals would also stop me.

What about everyone else?

Nothing that general consensus has as at risk, & certainly nothing "Canned", maybe the types that arrange those things could be added to the list that can be hunted!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Does anyone remember the dolphin thread ....

no interest in bears or wolves, they are amazing creatures I would only shoot with a camera but knowing my luck I'd end up lunch

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Oh Yes!!!

I have heard that Salmon farm get authority to shoot seals, don't know if I could do that, also shooting Monkeys in Africa, Baboons.....Wouldn't want to do that either.

Everything else, I think I would have a go at, obviously, you ain't going to pay to shoot a cull species and then not pull the trigger.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    That thread should have been deleted after the first post.

i wouldnt want to shoot any sort of cat or bear or monkeys except baboons hate them

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Please try and keep this one on topic and don't be critical of those who choose animals you wouldn't...

But what species of animals would you not hunt and why? Personally I could not hunt big cats. Most are only just about managing to maintain viable populations and I'd feel guilty bagging an asiatic lion or cougar. I just simply couldn't do it. The fact that they're great looking magnificent animals would also stop me.

What about everyone else?
    I had a chance to go on an Elephant cull,after a long hard think about it I decided it wasnt for me,also had a chance to shoot Cheeta it was in Namiba we came upon a family of them which is quite rare to see,I gave up the opertunity and watch them run away with there cubs,as hunters we all have a line we wont cross

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    ...what species of animals would you not hunt and why?
    I'm glad you used the word hunt, MJ, because that neatly sums up my own feelings on the subject.

Hunters, by my definition, kill only to eat or protect. That it has become seen as sport is only secondary to the main purpose. Killing to protect is the harder to define but even so is not beyond the wit of the average thinking stalker.

Would I choose to shoot a tiger? Simply for sport, most certainly not, nor any other cat or similar predator. However, if such a predator posed a threat to my own or my community's safety then yes, I would have no reservations in hunting the animal down. Likewise elephants hold no attraction to me as a hunter, but if I lived in a village that was troubled by a marauding beast then, again, I would have no difficulty in pulling the trigger.

In general terms and given the above qualification I would like to think I adhere to the principle that if you can't eat it why kill it. I also agree with finnbear's views on 'canned' hunts where the principle of fair chase is compromied.
    Last edited by Iwrch; 11-07-2010 at 11:05.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

If it's not going to taste good on the plate, or keep me alive, why bother. If it's going to taste good and provide a nice set of antlers for the wall, then I consider this a bonus. I'm not bothered by the idea of trophy hunting, or shooting for the sake of shooting. Why shoot a big cat unless it's about to maul you?

Iwrch:-with you 100 percent