Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First sign of rut

First sign of rut

Went for a wander this morning to a farm where foxes are usually seen on fresh cut hay within first 100yds of walking a doe ran into a wheat field with a buck in hot persuit they ignored me and passed within 15yds then back into the wood.No chance to even level the rifle.Further on I saw a doe with twins then another buck chasing on the edge of the next wood still working on getting permission there.

An old trick a friend showed me was to use a couple of old antlers by clacking them together in the hope of attracting one of the bucks towards your position.
    i believe the approaching buck's mentality is to ward off any potential mating threats to its Does.
    And it worked.

I remember watching the buck in an almost galloping speed towards me and my old practical supervisor. Quite an adrenalin rush actually!!

I dont think we are too far off in my part of Yorkshire either, I havent seen many does without a buck in close proximity recently.

Just wish the harvest would get under way so I could see more, Yorkshire show week in a few days, the eager combine boys usually try to be the first that week to get a field off.

time to get the roe call out!

if you had called you may have got a chance!

rattling antlers together is very effective as well !
    as mentioned by previous poster

you can buy decent roe calls from swedan!

you can buy antler rattle bags from the usa,they come in a small bag which can fit in a back pack!you just roll the bag back and fourth and it sounds like antlers rattling!

good luck

The landowner of my shoot said combining next friday if the weather holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xim View Post
    An old trick a friend showed me was to use a couple of old antlers by clacking them together in the hope of attracting one of the bucks towards your position.
    i believe the approaching buck's mentality is to ward off any potential mating threats to its Does.
    And it worked.
    I remember watching the buck in an almost galloping speed towards me and my old practical supervisor. Quite an adrenalin rush actually!!
    Even a couple of dry Hazel sticks will do the trick.

was out sat morning near banbury, saw 3 does + kids but no bucks.

Last night saw plenty of Does + kids but very little sign of bucks
    apart from this one, he was just starting to rev up staking his claim on a few saplings and scraping the floor

as i got closer he stopped and looked my way before charging at me, full pelt
    the surprise in his eyes when he realised me and the dog were not another deer
    Hope this happens a few more times this rut

Not fully on here called this chap but he is getting left for the rut and will pass on his wranglers before he meets his maker.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    Not fully on here called this chap but he is getting left for the rut and will pass on his wranglers before he meets his maker.

thats a real nice photo