Thread: A new rifle and moderator

A new rifle and moderator

Just thinking of making the leap from a T8 on my Sako 75 Hunter .243 to an Lawrence Titanium M2 as I swapping this rifle to 6.5x55. Rifle I'm looking at is a Sako 85 Finnlight.

Has anyone any experience with the rifle or mod? Really interested in peoples views of the mod as my mind is really made with the finnlight.

From the reports in the shooting press they are not the quietest and if you look back over some of the old posts somebody had problems with one, hell of a lot of money as well.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    From the reports in the shooting press they are not the quietest and if you look back over some of the old posts somebody had problems with one, hell of a lot of money as well.

ATB

Tahr
    Nice and informed post there Thar.
    so you no nothing of the mods then?

They are very very light and have had a new set of baffles since the article in the shooting press. They are not ever going to be the quietest as you can not have it all, lightness and quietness do not go hand in hand, its a trade off.
    They are a very very very well made bit of kit, and the part you got right is they are expensive. But so is titanium and the manufacturing of it.(being hard to machine and hard on tooling)

Hope this is of some help

ATB
    Cam

The rifle is great for me i would go for one of the north stars they seem to work well on my mates 6.5 x 284 and my 6.5 x 55. No need for any baffle crisiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post

ATB

Tahr
    here we go Thar the moderator expert,I surprized you havnt plugged yours mates items yet
    but to get back to the question in hand,the lawence precision titaininum mod is a work of art,the best made mod i have ever seen BUT there is a HUGHHHHHHHHHHHH BUT
    they are very loud and very expensive,I have tried one on my mates rifles he had to send it back for extra baffles to be fitted,the guy foxes with me on a regular basis and i couldnt allow him to shoot in certain areas with it,
    but on a stalking rifle I would say it fine to take the kick and a bit of noise away,you pay your money you take your chance
    my mate is just using it on his stalking rifle now and using the PES on his foxing rifle as its quiter by a long way (it was an expensive mistake)
    Iam just waiting for the new third eye tactical mod to come,very light and quiet small and if they work as well as there Evo 8 mod at £220 there worth a look,I will report on mine when it arrives hopefully this week

Quote Originally Posted by camathias View Post
    Nice and informed post there Thar.
    so you no nothing of the mods then?
    Hi Colin

Yes you are right at bit of a quick post; did you have some contact with the owner???? I know he is local to you. I did a bit of research for Jon, and dug up the post were the guy had to send his back, it was posted by Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    PMSL yes there a tad on the high side,to be fair if they worked well the price wouldnt bother me too much,I have handled the quicksilver on the end of a rifle,yes very light to the point you dont know its there,but far far too long at 8 inch
    I have also handles and shot the Lawence Precission,this is probably the best made mod i have ever seen BUt comes a a high price and after shooting it I wasnt impressed,neither was the guy who paid £700 for it,he took it back and had more baffles fitted,which they charge even more for also it gets very very hot with a short string of shots.I havnt been out again since with it due to other commitments and the god damm weather,but hopefully this weekend we will give it ago
    personally i cant see them selling many due to the price for starter and there not very quiet,you would have thought for the most expensive mod in the country it would be the quietest

Hope this is of help Jon.

ATB

Tahr

I have a jet-z mod on my 19 inch 7-08 love it to bits. For me after using a PES T-12 I will never go back to an over barrel design again. I have a PES muzzle mounted mod on order for my 6mmbr:- weight not an issue with this rifle.

I have no experience of this Lawrence mod but I would consider a Quicksilver muzzle mounted mod at the same price. If only I had known about this mod when I bought the jet-z.

Ti or aluminium, got to be Ti for me.

Short barrels are the future of stalking.

Moderators are illegal here, but I used a few rifles from a friend in the UK last fall. I must say that the lack of recoil and noise is nice. I still don't like long heavy rifles and in no way I would use a 500/600 gram moderator.
    Anybody experience with the A-tec CMM moderator. Only 220 gram, but still 6 inches extra lenght. This on a 2.8/2.9 kg rifle and a 8x50 Swarovski would still have a max weight of 3.6 to 3.7 kg.

Thanks to all, I now will look at some of the alternatives you've suggested as I want one that reduces noise but is not as bulky as my T8.

Once again many thanks

Jon

I would have a serious look at the titanium Quicksilver. I bought one to replace a T8 on my 6.5 and was so pleased I bought another for the .308. Not the shortest but slim, light and beautifully made. I found noise attenuation to be similar to the T8 but a couple of stalking buddies have commented that the .308 makes quite a bang. Apart from cost I see the main downside as they are not 'time proven' so we don't know what problems, if any, may occur in the future.