Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting?

Hunting?

As a carry on from the bowhunter thread. Do you consider yourself a hunter or a deer manager and is it important? Discuss.
    Matt

I am a hunter, and a damn pot hunter at that. I make no apologies for this.

There is a lot of crap talked about "Deer Managers" etc. Very PC. You need to be in control of a very large patch - in a single piece - to have any realistic prospect of managing a deer population. Obviously deer can be shot off, or eradicated from, a smallish area, but that is not management.

Call a spade a f*king shovel boys....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I sympathise, i got into stalking to hunt not as a profession.
    Matt

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    I manage deer on F,C lease & land owners etc, while doing deer managment im actualy hunting deer, but really towards myself im doing what i love being outdoors in fantastic surroundings, etc etc

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I am a hunter, and a damn pot hunter at that. I make no apologies for this.

There is a lot of crap talked about "Deer Managers" etc. Very PC. You need to be in control of a very large patch - in a single piece - to have any realistic prospect of managing a deer population. Obviously deer can be shot off, or eradicated from, a smallish area, but that is not management.

Call a spade a f*king shovel boys....
    can you tell me what is a "pot" hunter??? do you smoke weed, pot, canabis etc when out managing or hunting deer??

Quote Originally Posted by matt458 View Post
    As a carry on from the bowhunter thread. Do you consider yourself a hunter or a deer manager and is it important? Discuss.
    Matt
    I started out as a hunter and slipped into deer management. Deer management requires the same skill set as hunting. In deer management the skills are used toward a different intended outcome.
    Personally, I don't see a conflict of interests, although Clarret Dabbler would seem to disagree.
    I'm not noted for my love of Bill Oddie, but I think it was him that made a rather amusing definition of deer management.
    You creep through a wood until you see a deer, and then you "manage" it.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry, I see your point but I believe 'hunting' is a different concept than deer management, much as one may be an artist as opposed to a painter and decorator. Tin hat now on!

Quote Originally Posted by matt458 View Post
    Harry, I see your point but I believe 'hunting' is a different concept than deer management, much as one may be an artist as opposed to a painter and decorator. Tin hat now on!
    I still see no difference or conflict of interest. Remember, Michael Angelo was commissioned to do the cieling in the Cistene Chapel because he was such a skilled "painter and decorator".
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

im a hunter!

never get tired of the fair chase!

if ive got a gun,rifle,bow,rod, or a bag of traps in hand then im hapier than a pig in s**t!

but what the antis will never understand, is its just as much fun even if you have no success!

Always a hunter, if you are not a proficient hunter then you cannot manage deer, and to manage deer you have to be a hunter. Hunting is not just about killing/shooting call it what you will. All true hunters where ever you are in the world show respect for their quarry and the environment, and more commonly show a bond between each other when you meet up and many times form friendships that span a lifeteime.