Black Bear

kevhumps

After some advice/recommendations for bear hunting in Canada/USA.
It's on my bucket list, and thinking about it won't get me anywhere, so if anyone has first hand advice or names of outfitters they could recommend, I would be most grateful. I'm not interested in sitting over bait, ideally it would be walk and stalk. I don't expect it to be cheap, but it would be a one off trip for a working man, and I've gotta make it happen!
Thanks Kev.
ps I've searched SD, but nothing recent.

Hi I'm going to Alaska in the spring. It was so pricey with an outfitter that i have now bulled a mate i served with who is from there to take me.
it seems as long as they are a resident you just buy your tags and go

hope this helps

Have successfully hunted bear in Ontario but this is baited. Have contacts if you change your mind.

Worth mentioning that the Law changed in Canada. Outfitters are only allowed a number of foreign guests based on an average over the previous 3 years to 2016. As these were bad years, effectively the New lefty government just reduced foreign hunters from historic averages. It's trickier now to get a place, supply and demand will come into play.

Last edited:
Western Canada.
Oh yes, how remiss of me, i forgot, Western Canada, especially where that jerk Ben Fogle met the English guy who is trying to tell Canadians what they can and can't do with their hunting, and Fogle offered to slash the car tyres of the hunters!
So yes, Canada if you can.
Cheers
Richard

Richard,
Haven't heard about the Fogel thing. Anyway, Alberta has some excellent country and I believe there are spot and stalk Spring hunts available there. Do a Google search, you should find plenty of guides. Large numbers of bears up there.
Michael

Thanks for the input guys, found plenty on line, but was wondering if anyone has personal recommendations ?
Kev.

I was talking to my buddy in Ontario. He didn't know of anywhere that stalks bear. Outfitters earn their keep baiting a spot for months.

Believe me being on the ground a few meters away from a bear is plenty exciting. Wasn't sure who would be hunting who for a while there!

I saw the skull of a Bear at the Lodge we were using in Croatia.
It belonged to one of our crew that had hunted earlier in the year and it was on the bar waiting for him when we arrived, it was the size of a Dustbin, well not quite but almost.
Regardless of my poetic licence, it was very impressive.
It had been arranged by Frank Isle of Basswood so a word with him might be worth while if you fancy going East instead of West !

There Brown Bears in Croatia Eddy.
You can get a small Bear there for €2000 plus organisation, but a really big one will cost a lot more

Hello, i am hunting black bear in May on Vancouver Island. Contact me in June and i will let you know how i got on. My hunt is spot and stalk, i don't think bait is allowed in British Columbia. My outfitter is Trophy West. Will be trying to catch a sturgeon on the Fraser River too.

Hello, i am hunting black bear in May on Vancouver Island. Contact me in June and i will let you know how i got on. My hunt is spot and stalk, i don't think bait is allowed in British Columbia. My outfitter is Trophy West. Will be trying to catch a sturgeon on the Fraser River too.

Good look with the hunt pal.Everytime I have been on Vancouver Island I could have shot at least 30 out of the RV window. We had 3 one evening trying to get in the bins at the side of us in the RV park in Tofino.

My Black Bear was in Ontario. Season started in my hunt area September 1 and was quite short for firearms.

I know last year they reintroduced a Winter Hunt Season but didn't think it was quite as late as May but I have just checked and in certain areas you can hunt males only from May 1st.

Lucky man! Fill your boots.

Last edited:
Back