Portuguese pointer

Uncle f

Anyone got experience or this breed.? I'm looking at a pup on Monday
now decided after much homework and research that the BMH is not for me

Wot do u want the dog to do?

I'm not the biggest fan of hpr's, despite owning 1 and will have another, but there generally not easy dogs to train (esp for novice handlers) and unless u actually need a dog to point (which 95% of owners don't) there is far better breeds out there albeit more boring and normal.

The PP's are even rarer than most hprs so getting a decent working 1. I think there is a member on here who has 1

I have always said and still think if u don't want a dog to point for general gunbdog work, deer work and being a pet/home life u will have a far easier time with a working bred (not FT) lab or spaniel

There is a lot of badly trained dogs out there when u travel round various shoots, but u can just about live with a poorly trained lab or spaniel a bad hpr is just a nightmare.

Last edited:
I take your point. I had a GSP for 16 years working with one of my eagles and had to put her down 4 years ago gutted as she was a gem. Got a three year old working cocker dog now that I pick up with and rough shoot with and he good
i was contemplating a BMH or munsterlander but have now decided to look at a PP as the others don't seem suitable for me after some research. Ideally I would like to train this dog to blood track for wounded/dead animals I don't see why they wouldn't be good at it
went to Portugal in December on the pigs and there were a few in the line

regards steve

I take your point. I had a GSP for 16 years working with one of my eagles and had to put her down 4 years ago gutted as she was a gem. Got a three year old working cocker dog now that I pick up with and rough shoot with and he good
i was contemplating a BMH or munsterlander but have now decided to look at a PP as the others don't seem suitable for me after some research. Ideally I would like to train this dog to blood track for wounded/dead animals I don't see why they wouldn't be good at it
went to Portugal in December on the pigs and there were a few in the line

regards steve

Steve, get your self a lab if its a stalking companion your after. You can train them to a high standard for tracking and hopefully too big for one of your Eagles to carry off ;).

Yes I thought that however the manager (wife) does not want a lab she wants another hpr but not a big un
as you can see she is somewhat demanding

Hi......if you want an HPR with all the character that brings, take a look at Slovaks, if you haven't already.
You've already had one HPR so have a good idea of all the pit falls.....mines a 7 year old hooligan when the mood takes him,but he's absolutely dynamite tracking (its what he loves) but would never make a peg dog in a million years !!!
He's also quite a big lad at 30"to the shoulder, but the bitches in his litter are all much smaller (more Lab sized) and are generally a little bit less driven and hard edged as the dogs.
I'm obviously biased but if you want any breed advice, pm me and id be happy to help if i can.
Regards, Rob.

Ok guys picked up an 11 week old portugese pointer dog tonight. I will attach some pics in the morning. Just playing the introducing him to 3 year old cocker dog game at the moment
regards steve

Ok what's he/she like with regards to tracking etc. My pups just 12 weeks now and coming on fine.

CONGRATULATIONS, Those are an amazing breed.
I know some people that have some and they have an amazing nose, a bit difficult to train but once trained they are outstanding.

Thanks everything I've read about them has been very positive and they are great looking dogs as well

Correct. Arguably the oldest pointing breed going back to the 14th century apparently. Can't verify that though as I was not about then (lol). Dogs coming on great and really pleased with him but still very early days

regards Steve

Back