6.5x55 load

Essexsussex

So, I have now ordered my Lee loader, my scoops, my Sierra loading manual.

i have a bundle of once fired brass from my rifle.

i have decided that I want a fast driven Sierra pro hunter 120gr

i have read a fair bit but my manual hasn't yet turned up.

The next thing I think I need to decide is what powder to buy. I haven't seen what my manual accounts for as it isn't here, but I am expecting to use N160, only based on what I read on here as producing good fast loads for the calibre.

i expect that my manual will have a range of grain weights for the bullet and powder combo. I will use the 6.5x55 SE or Skan data, as my rifle is modern and probably proofed for that (will check).

i will start at the overall length that works well for me with factory loads.

i will start at the lowest grain weight, load three and then test fire against a target, stepping up one grain until I get pressure signs. I will then step back one grain. Should this be the best grouping round?

now, if I get to the max load and find no pressure signs, should I inch over in half grains, or should i just stop anyway?

what have I missed in this set up for a starting point? (I will read my manual so might completely change my approach, and won't do anything until I have read it)

all your kind help gratefully received.

thanks
ES

N160 and 120s (NBTs) work well in my rifle, the most accurate load may not (is often not) the fastest, in 6.5 x 55 I load in .5 gr increments 1 gr is too big you may jump over an accuracy node or jump into pressure.

COAL will make as much difference to group size as powder charge, so you may be able to coax extra accuracy from a faster load by playing with seating depth, not sure how much adjustment the lee loader affords you. And you'll need a vernier to measure length. (I use a cheap digi one and load some accurate ammo so they must work!)

As for loading over max, viht's own data is renowned for being conservative so I always try and find at least 3 sources of data for a simkiar bullet and decide on a max load from there but the sensible answer is not to go over book max or from memory in the OCW method (google it) one step over. Do lots of reading on pressure signs if you are planning to get up to max so you know what you are looking for in the first place, or better still if you know Somone that reloads get them to give you some pointers.

Definitely do as You say and read your manual and definitely keep good notes, nothing more frustrating than finding a good load and forgetting all the details!!

Finally loading can be terribly addictive but is the often the way to get the best accuracy out of your gun so good luck

Thanks very much Boydy. I was assuming that the max loading would have been conservative, hadn't thought to look at other handbooks to see any difference. I will not exceed for now. Will another manufacturers 120g bullet using the same powder be different in terms of max powder loading? I guess the bullet design (boat tail etc) will have an effect.

lee loader does allow a change in COAL I think. I only have an old fashioned vernier, not sure it will be possible to read small enough increments so there's another bit of kit to buy!

Boydy - that link illustrates my question, can I use noslers data with Sierra pro hunter in the same grain?

thanks as ever

Hi ES I have tried many powder s and bullet weights in the 6.5x55 , my findings were N160 was very good powder produced very good accurcy with 120 grain noslers bt and sierria 120 pro hunter s the load i had they were doing 2850pfs with n160 and very accurate, if you have a short barrel you may need a quicker powder the load I settled on was 140 gameking doing 2700fps with Swiss rs60 witch is reloader 17 , also when load testing I do batches of 5 shots and go up on 0.5 grains at a time untill i find the node then fine tune with oal of the bullet , if you want any more info drop us a pm regards jim

N150 if you have a shorter barrel, N160 if not. You can ue N140 if you want some excitement in your life.

Viht have free load data including for the 120gr prohunter, just google it.

Please be aware that the OAL advertised for the Swede can be a little odd e.g. the one for the prohunter has hardly anything in the case.
This is important as length can have a large impact on pressure - more than you would think - so if you're loading shorter than book be conservative.

Last edited:
Thanks Milligan

very helpful. I have a 24" barrel and ultimately want to get towards performance of a .270 with 130 gr using my 6.5 with 120 gr, so will look at the viht data. Obviously making some safe loads that group will be my first objective.

ES

Last edited:
When you say "performance of a .270" what do you mean i.e. Do you mean pushing a 120gr at 3000fps, or more to get the energy of a .270?
Either way the Swede isn't really all about kicking and shouting and a 120gr at 2700-2900 will do everything you want it to on UK deer.

I really mean a bit faster than factory ammo and approaching that performance. I hear it's possible and this has become a round about way of not buying another rifle as I have a 6.5 and wanted a 270 for the hill as I found my 243 lacking. In reality, as you say I suspect I will get a round that performs under 3,000 and I am totally happy with. But then as I am not yet a re loader so I don't know what I'm talking about at all, but I'm looking forward to the journey and will come back on here in a year and let you know what I have acheived, if anything.

the load I settled on was 140 gameking doing 2700fps with Swiss rs60 witch is reloader 17 , also when load testing I do batches of 5 shots and go up on 0.5 grains at a time untill i find the node then fine tune with oal of the bullet , /QUOTE]

+1 :thumb:

The 140gr travelling at 2700 (which is my load out of a 20" barrel with rl17) equates to a 165gr 30cal. The Swede due to bullet shape does not need to be driven fast to kill.

Boydy - that link illustrates my question, can I use noslers data with Sierra pro hunter in the same grain?

thanks as ever

Some people tell you that you need to follow the exact 'recipe' others will say provided you work up from the start load carefully then to some extent you can swap bullets of the same weight. If you're struggling to find data for the weight you're after then the rule is use data or the next weight up, never for slighter bullet, that won't effect you with 120s though.

Varying bullet type due to shape and altering OAL even with same bullet will alter pressures to some extent as it changes the available volume in the case, different brands of case will too as some have thicker walls than others.

MAX load is exactly that, as I say as a beginner go steady going over it until you know what to look for, but people do go over max and you'll find data that varies for the same or a very similar load with a fair difference.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/6-5-x-55-swedish-mauser.html

Above is viht's 'standard' 6.5x55, data with their 26.5" test barrel they're touching on 3000 fps. I purposely didn't post their skan data as they show velocities for 3 barrel lengths but for some reason they've recently all been lumped in the same column so a tad confusing. Having said that min and max loads are the same for all 3 so that should make sense.

Interestingly compare nosler's 120 gr load data with viht's to see what I mean about different data for a similar load, nosler's barrel length I think is closer to yours so may be closer on velocity. This is why I said try and find 3 sources of data and decide which is the max you'll work too. (worth bearing in mind US manufactured cases generally have greater case capacity when comparing data - edit this may not be the case, I know fed swede brass has a lower capacity than PPU!).

You should Find a powder that will give you 3000 fps with a 120 gr though, have a look through the recent threads for another user's load (jackfish I think?) and he's doing just that with the pro hunter.

Last edited:
Boydy - thanks mate. The Lee loader, manual and scoops turned up yesterday. Every day I read more and every day I learn more, so my questions are going to get less daft! Particularly with the patient help that you guys have been giving. Also that tool you sent me is now going to get used, for which I am grateful.

for anyone in my position knowing nothing about loading but thinking about buying a Lee loader and having a go, my observation on the Lee loader is :
it recommends you can use new or fire formed cases
the scoop is set to the min load of the data it comes with so you can't load anything other than min load unless you also get a set of scoops or scales
it recommends a case trimmer is bought as well

seemingly if you can accept all that you can load rounds.

ES

ive been using 48gr of N160 behind a 120gr sierra pro hunter or a Nosler BT for years. its the best load Ive used in my Sako 75. its been a long time since Iput them over the but from memory they were doing over 2800fps. very flat shooting out to 300m and Ive shot everything except CWD with it

Boydy - thanks mate. The Lee loader, manual and scoops turned up yesterday. Every day I read more and every day I learn more, so my questions are going to get less daft! Particularly with the patient help that you guys have been giving. Also that tool you sent me is now going to get used, for which I am grateful.

for anyone in my position knowing nothing about loading but thinking about buying a Lee loader and having a go, my observation on the Lee loader is :
it recommends you can use new or fire formed cases
the scoop is set to the min load of the data it comes with so you can't load anything other than min load unless you also get a set of scoops or scales
it recommends a case trimmer is bought as well

seemingly if you can accept all that you can load rounds.

ES

I'd forgot I'd sent you that! To be fair if you add a set of lee scales for about £15 secondhand then you can accurately weigh your powder weights.

I'd forgot I'd sent you that! To be fair if you add a set of lee scales for about £15 secondhand then you can accurately weigh your powder weights.

if you get the lee length gauge and cutter for your calibre its cheap and fool proof, +1 on the Lee scales, maybe not the smoothest out there but for the price for low volume reloading they are more than adequate, and IMHO more useful than the scoops which are a bit of a blunt instrument,.
nothing wrong with the scoop supplied if you have a powder that is refered to in the list that comes with the loader, not every deer needs a max load to drop it :)

www.vihtavuori.com/upload/guide-and-brochure/vihtavuorireloadingguideed13_201
This is all you need if you are going to use N160
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]start with the start load for your bullet weight and work up until you find your sweet spot
use the SKAN data the standard data is for M94/96 rifles, best loads tend to be 1.0 to 2.0 grains from max
[/FONT]

Back