Thread: General Public

General Public

Ask to shoot crows this evening by the farm owner, well i was only there about half an hour when i heard police sirens. Kevin the owner came to see me seems some guy parked opposite the farm reported hearing shots and called the police, Kev told them what the score was but it just shows what happens after an incedent like Rotherby ! People who know nothing about shooting just have`nt got a clue, i was lucky Kev was there at the time i usually i go up there when no ones about.......Wonder what the police would have been like if he had`nt.

Steve...........................................

hi,

i think we will all suffer a little of this for a while. all you have to remember is to be calm and show respect if it happens to you.
    yes sir no sir goes a long way to keep the peace,

atb f.

Show them your written permission and say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekit View Post
    Ask to shoot crows this evening by the farm owner, well i was only there about half an hour when i heard police sirens. Kevin the owner came to see me seems some guy parked opposite the farm reported hearing shots and called the police, Kev told them what the score was but it just shows what happens after an incedent like Rotherby ! People who know nothing about shooting just have`nt got a clue, i was lucky Kev was there at the time i usually i go up there when no ones about.......Wonder what the police would have been like if he had`nt.

Steve...........................................
    Its all this media coverage, I am sure some members of the public think only criminals have guns,I only hope that no innocent stalker ect doesnt get an armed response,i wouldnt like to be surrounded by armed police with there fingures on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

i think we will all suffer a little of this for a while. all you have to remember is to be calm and show respect if it happens to you.
    yes sir no sir goes a long way to keep the peace,

atb f.
    For sure, even when you know your in the right, show restraint and be courteous at all times keeping your cool really is the only answer

Had this happen to me a couple of months back.

I had some new loads i had made up for my .270 so i headed of to one of the farms i have permission to shot on had a chate with the farmer so see if it would be ok to set up a target & fire off a some rounds not a problem he sed.

I got set up had a a few shots with the .270 than changed & fired of a couple with my .222 to check the scope.
    This had mabey taken 20 to 30 min.
    Then i see a police car driving up to the farm it stopped on the road for a bit then headed off up to the farm thought right some one has seen me or heard the shooting so i packed up & headed for the farm.
    I met the police car at the gate into the field we had a chate i showed him my cert he called it in then he headed of & i headed up to the farm to have a chat with the farmer then heade home.

Phoned one of the lads that i go out stalking with who happens to be in the police he was having a bit of a chuckle when i told him what happend.
    He sed that the 2 armed respons cars from Glasgow had been turned back when the officer had called in that everithing was al right.

I am just relieved that there was a local police car in the area or things could have got rather intresting.

John

This came up on another forum and someone suggested we keep a low profile after the recent events but I said why should we responsible shooters let that affect how we conduct ourselves?... there hasn't been any change in the law so we should carry on as before.
    Straight after the Cumbria incident I was reluctant to let the neighbours see me putting my guns in the car, I used the back gate for a while but then I thought "stuff it, I'm doing nothing wrong" As long as we stay within the guidlines we have nothing to worry about. It was also suggested that we hide a gun slip in a hedge so that on returning to the car we can put the gun away out of sight of passing vehicles.
    I think acting suspiciously and hiding things in the bushes would give more cause for concern.
    One of the fields that I decoy over runs alongside a busy dual carriageway, the East lancs road. I park in a layby, unload all my gear and hump it over the gate into the field.... In the time it takes me to do that 40 or 50 cars could have driven by. It's fairly obvious what I'm doing even to a non-shooter so there's no point trying to be covert about it.
    I have BASC, BDS and NGO stickers in my car windscreen, I carry both my SGC and FAC with me always, what more can I do?

We shouldn't feel like we need to sculk around hiding in bushes, I'm proud of what I do and I don't intend to change my routine unless I'm forced to.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MACKY View Post
    Had this happen to me a couple of months back.

I had some new loads i had made up for my .270 so i headed of to one of the farms i have permission to shot on had a chate with the farmer so see if it would be ok to set up a target & fire off a some rounds not a problem he sed.

I got set up had a a few shots with the .270 than changed & fired of a couple with my .222 to check the scope.
    This had mabey taken 20 to 30 min.
    Then i see a police car driving up to the farm it stopped on the road for a bit then headed off up to the farm thought right some one has seen me or heard the shooting so i packed up & headed for the farm.
    I met the police car at the gate into the field we had a chate i showed him my cert he called it in then he headed of & i headed up to the farm to have a chat with the farmer then heade home.

Phoned one of the lads that i go out stalking with who happens to be in the police he was having a bit of a chuckle when i told him what happend.
    He sed that the 2 armed respons cars from Glasgow had been turned back when the officer had called in that everithing was al right.

I am just relieved that there was a local police car in the area or things could have got rather intresting.

John
    Bloody hell thats a bit worrying I am wondering if its not a good idea of ringing in to the local police where we stalk informing them that we are on the ground at the times we are up there stalking , I can see this kind of thing happening on a regular occurance from now on with all this adverse publicity of late.

I know its not a requirement but none of us wants this kind of hastle, and i certainly dont want to be looking down the end of a rifle barrel .